Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help: advice needed for keeping a Shetland pony.  (Read 47308 times)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: help: advice needed for keeping a Shetland pony.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 07:56:29 pm »
Its the Ivy berries that are poisonous
As for walking,great for the mind and body!
Try this too http://www.thehorseagilityclub.com/great-britain.html  great fun! ;D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 08:58:24 pm »
well if i can just throw another spanner in the works here, i think monty and parelli both have things to offer/things to chuck...for me i am really really impressed with richard maxwell (max), he trained with monty and then developed his own system out of it.  he worked with horses in the army and is totally fab, just says it like it is.

he came and worked with a mare of mine a few years back and was absolutely what he said he was on the tin!

lots of good books and dvd's and he is as british as the rest of us!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 09:20:36 pm »
then comes along a stroppy shetland looks at you and say no chance.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »
I agree, Laura, all have something to offer if we keep open minds. I like Max too - saw him at Deveon Equestrian Centre a few years back and was impressed.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 12:38:09 pm »
Started with Monty,like Richard but didn't start progressing with Malaga till I started Parelli (And no one can say "No"better than a mule ;D)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »
that does look very familier.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
Well I've ordered 3 Monty books (bought one, the other two are coming through the library), and I'm still looking at the available dvd's - although I need something soon - I must've done something wrong when trying to measure her girth - she's now decided not to let me approach her with the headcollar :-[ - she turns away. She's still happy to let me groom, etc & put my arms around her girth if I leave the headcollar behind though. But I can't measure her girth with my arms - they're too short.

looks like I'll have to start with the basics. No more walks 'til I get it on again - though she still looks hopeful when I go out the gate with the dog.

One step forward...  ::)

mab

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 02:01:46 pm »
Does she actually walk away?

Horses, like humans, have a personal space - a bubble, if you like. Some are bigger than others. As you approach a horse, you will hit the edge of the "bubble". The horse, particularly one that doesn't know you well or that is a bit anxious, may either walk away to maintain distance OR may simply turn its head away. If you respect the horse's bubble, stop immediately and take a step back ie acknowledge the "bubble", the chances are that the horse will turn its head back and look at you. A horse that wants you to "come in" will look at you with both eyes and with its ears forward. Approach again - it may turn away again, in which case you have a choice depending on the circumstances - continue to approach (at least you have acknowledged the bubble) or continue to approach and retreat until the horse is comfortable.

Assuming the pony is in a fairly small area, take the headcollar - don't wave it around but don't hide it (never sneak up on your horse - that's what predators do). If she walks away, keep going towards her ie put some pressure on her. Watch her body language VERY carefully especially her eyes and ears because timing is crucial. Keep her moving- don't allow her to graze but don't yeehaa around the padock either or SNEAK, never sneak. Keep your demeanor soft. At some point, she will either stop and look at you or turn an ear towards you. At that point, stop and either take a step back or turn and walk away. She may follow you or she may allow you to approach when you try again.

If she doesn't stand, pressure and release again until she does. She will soon learn that if she does what you want ie stop, you'll release the pressure. Once you can approach her with the headcollar, you might just want to give her a rub with it, then go away. Next time, if she's comfortable, you can put it on.

Personally, I like a thin rope halter - natural horsemanship, if you like - as it doesn't encourage the pony to lean against it. The broad "normal" headcollars are too comfy if the pony leans on it. Again, if you are using a rope halter, timing is important - if you want to teach the pony to walk forward, put on a very light pressure and give her time to respond; if she doesn't, up the pressure but as soon as she gives to the pressure - even a lean forward, not a step - release the pressure - that's her reward for doing as you asked. Then ask again until she has learned the lesson.

NEVER lose your temper - if you are getting cross, stop and walk away. Remember, she's not trying to upset you or be difficult. You are a predator, she could be your dinner - so until she trusts you not to eat her, be sensitive (not soft).

Sorry to go on - you'll find the books invaluable. If you can get to a Richard Maxwell, Kelly Marks, Michael Peace clinic, you will learn loads.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2011, 02:50:40 pm »
Well she did walk away.

I think I got overconfident - and was too hasty; I think made her wary with my bit of girth-measuring-string and, having given up on that, I put the string down and picked up the head collar without giving her a chance to forget about the string.

So I've left the collar & string aside and focussed on reassuring her that I'm OK. She hasn't known me for long after all.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:33 am »
TYPICAL SHATLAND!! IM SURE SHE'LL COME ROUND.X.X. :D ;)
'can't rain all the time!'

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:36 pm »
Don't take the comments here so personally. Just my opinion based on the dreadful women I've met.
 :horse:

I just get so fed up with blanket condemnation of the Parelli Programme (and its almost always Parelli), based on the actions of a few people who are not real practitioners of natural horsemanship and obviously have no understanding of the principles.  :(

You're obviously not meting the right people  ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 04:41:22 pm by Dan »

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 12:39:34 pm »
  "You're obviously not meeting the right people"
 ;D ;D ;D so true! 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
mab, check out the Horse and Country TV website, the section about Monty Roberts. There's a wee video about controlling the footfall / join up. It's very good.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 12:50:42 am »
Thanks again folks. It's been said before but the people on this forum are always constructive & helpful.

Found those vids on horse & country.  :)

I think she's getting more relaxed but I don't want to rush it with the headcollar. Also, from the reading I've done so far I think I need to be more aware of my body language - and how it looks to a horse - as someone said earlier, it's about training ME to give the right signals.  ::)

Changing the subject slightly: What do you do with all the horse poo?

I'm getting a bucketful every day!

mab

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 10:00:14 am »
We have a wheelbarrowload! It's in a pile to go on the garden.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS