Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help: advice needed for keeping a Shetland pony.  (Read 47314 times)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: help: advice needed for keeping a Shetland pony.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »
Of course! You're right, it does look like the electric tape!

I never though of that!  ::)

m

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 02:14:33 am »
Maybe try measuring her with a piece of string, then measure the string.  (Or cotton, or wool, or leather - whatever she doesn't find scary.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 08:00:03 pm »
Shetlands are prone to laminitis so do keep an eye on her and don't allow her too much grass. Watch the size of her tummy (and hips), you should be able to tell if she is fat (or thin!). Look to see how she stands. If you can't tell, or just need a second opinion - ask your farrier! He will be seeing your pony every 6 weeks and will be able to advise re her weight/feet. Ask him to give the field the once over too, and ask if he thinks what you are doing is right. He is paid to look after your horses feet and that is all you are asking him to do - so he should be willing to give his opinion.

Don't ever be worried about asking. You pay good money, and the wellbeing of her feet is his job.

:horse:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 10:04:17 am »
Its hard to feed a Shetland too little, way more likely to feed them too much and kill them with kindness. So it's likely that two could live off even a small paddock as long as they have hay in the worst winter weather.

You could always get one on loan from World horse welfare, they have a Norfolk place; they would check out if they thought where you planned to keep it was suitable for them both, and by getting on loan it means if circumstances changed the loan one could always go back to them.

Having said that the sheep will mean the pony wont be as depressed being alone as if they had nothing, but they should really have something they can groom with and that means ideally another horse. If thats not poss then you will have to be the other horse and do lots of scratching and grooming daily for them!

The ivy with normal horse paddocks would generally not be chosen by horses; it might be more of a risk with Shetland paddocks as they are kept so sparse so the shetlands might be tempted to eat it. Sheep do love ivy, it's very good for poorly sheep who wont eat but sheep and horses are totally different.

ragwort is dangerous live too, but when live it is bitter tasting so horses tend to avoid it. However as with the ivy above, because of the deliberately bare nature of a shettie paddock they may resort to eating it so I would say it should be removed for sure in your scenario, get a Ragfork off the web, the only way to get it up with the root, and wear gloves as it is toxic to humans too!

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:28:00 pm »
Hope you have fun with your shetland. We started with one but kept her in a mixed herd of horses. My present horse is on his own now. I kept a friends horse with him last year and was very worried when they moved away but he is fine. He did have a bad week last week speaking to me a lot more and needing me to be in the garden near him but then the two horses next door were away... hes back to normal now he likes people and as long as there are other horses around he doesnt seem to need to actualy be with them.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »
Hi again,

Rosie seems to be settling in OK.  Actually there are horses in earshot of here - I can hear one calling out - I just can't see him.

Still not got a girth measurement - I'm wondering if I'm making matters worse by being a bit hesitant about offering bits of string and seeing if she wants to avoid them. Think I need to read Monty Roberts and/or that Jamie Jackson book Rosemary recommended.

Still trying to contact a farrier - I keep getting answerphones - bah!

mab

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:39 pm »
She is very pretty, try not to be to hesitant it does make matters worse and remember to breath while doing things infact giving out a loud sigh helps to reasure them that evrything is ok

princesspiggy

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:39 pm »
shes beautiful

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 08:54:24 am »
If stressed , sing. Keeps you breathing. Lots of people have just one horse or pony and not all are kept with any other animal. In a perfect world having another pony would help but then you have the extra cost and not everyone can afford this. The main thing is to look after your lovely pony as best as you can, giving plenty of attention and fun. Your blacksmith should be able to tell you if there has ever been laminitis in the feet. Shetlands like other ponies need a check on their weight but do not starve, if you have too much grass use electric fencing to make a small paddock and feed hay. Read up on looking after natives and what you can do with them. Most of all have fun.  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 10:07:48 am »
If you're having no joy with a farrier, you could try an equine podiatrist. The Equine Podiatry Association is a good start. An EP cannot shoe a horse but can trim and offer advice on hoof care.

The Jaime Jackson book is about horse boarding not horse handling.

Monty Roberts is good but (and I know I'll get shot down for this by someone) maybe you should have a look at the Parelli Programme. Natural horsemanship is a way of being with your horse - it doesn't "belong" to Parelli, Roberts, Rashid or anyone else except maybe horses. The Parelli PROGRAMME is useful for folk starting with horses, because it starts with the basics for the HANDLER. It's not a horse  training programme, it's a human training programme. You don't need all the equipment, although a good rope halter and a 12ft line is pretty invaluable because it allows the horse to drift and move its feet if it is anxious, without it getting away. The L1 covers fundemental concepts like pressure and release, approach and retreat, timing and feel.

If you can get hold of a Level 1 pack on ebay and watch the DVDs, you'll get a grounding in the basic skills. PP calls it the Seven Games but it's about understanding horse behaviour, building a solid relationship with your horse (on which everything else that you do with her will be based) and learning a language that your horse can understand. She already knows the language and how to play the "games" because she's a horse - it's YOU that needs training  :)

Remember, EVERY encounter you have with your horse counts. From the moment you come within sight and sound of your horse, you can make it positive or negative for her, so be aware of her. She will give you constant feedback through her body language about how she is feeling - learn to accept it for what it is and acknowledge it.

Horses forgive (thank God), so if you make a well intentioned mistake, she'll forgive you, but she won't forget, so it will pay you to invest a wee bit in this. You won't regret it because horses are such wonderful creatures. Even tiny ones  ;D Or maybe especially tiny ones. Just remember that, even though she's small, she's all horse. ;D

Sorry to go on - but I hope you have lots of fun with her, she looks a sweetie  :)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
Rosemary - you're a positive mine of information!

That Parelli course sound like exactly what I need. Not cheap though - oh well, no one ever said that looking after a horse would be cheap  ;D

Having done a search I did find this website:
http://www.iceryder.net/7games.html
But I'm thinking it may be worth buying the DVD and do the job properly rather than trying to follow half understood utube vids.

If stressed , sing. Keeps you breathing.
You obviously haven't heard my singing!   ;D

mab

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2011, 08:41:09 am »
That is one very pretty pony :-)))) and looks less podgy than most Shetlands! good stuff!

I avoid Parelli like the plague as I dont like the way theyve been filmed treating horses.....

But would heartily recommend Monty Roberts UK protegee, Kelly Marks and her books/vids, she is excellent and it is more British than American as she is British. My old yard owner did a course with her and it was all genuine stuff, really impressive and kind treatment, they worked with some unbroken horses and it was amazing.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:13 am »
yes your pony looks very well not over fat. you do need to remember that shetlands behave slightly diffrent to your larger horses. ie turn away dose not always work plus there is often the risk of a love bite. just be patient and spend a lot of time with her.being on her own should make it easier to bond.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2011, 02:14:09 pm »
ahhh parelli!! :D :D :D

cant stand it myself...as said before the way ive seen them treating horses on film >:(..another problem is 'everyone' is suddenly an expert! the go around waving their whips..oh sorry ''carrot sticks'' ;) and thats it all your horse problems are solved!!!ha yeh right!

monty all the way for me..he's got patience and is not out to teach horse tricks to please a crowd at the N.E.C!
i use his 'join up' technique many times on rescued shetland sive had over the years and its not a miricle remedy but it really helps you connect with your pony in a simple way...... :horse: :) :hshoe:
'can't rain all the time!'

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2011, 04:44:58 pm »
I'm not getting into a slagging match about Parelli. 

The programme is good, IMHO, I cannot legislate for those who follow it.  However, there are lots of very good exponents of natural horsemanship out there - and the principles are the same regardless. I am familiar with the Parelli programme and it's good in that it's very basis, explains the principles and gives exercises to do. However, the principles are the main thing and the Parelli Programme can make you very focussed on the exercises until you bore your pony to death  ;D (I know, I did)

Re Monty Roberts and join up - fabulous. I have also seen the round pen and join-up being terribly abused by those who THINK they understand it but actually don't have the savvy to apply it. So it's not the programme - it's the person applying it.

I don't regard myself as a "know nothing" or an expert nor am I trying to impress.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS