Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question about fencing?  (Read 6912 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
A question about fencing?
« on: June 24, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
Hello

I am just in the process of moving to a property with 6 acres split roughly into 4 paddocks. The fencing is all pretty new.... it is 3 strand wire (non barwbwire) fencing. I think it was electric at some point. My question is can anyone tell me what kind of stock this fencing is suited for please?

I have attached a pic.

Thanks in advance

David

Metal Detectorist

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: A question about fencing?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:15:15 am »
Yup, electric. Hard to tell from pic but looks a bit high and wire spaced a bit far apart but sheep is my first guess. Although nothing as weird as folks so could have had anything in there. Other option is horses but I wouldn't use elec wire for horses, elec tape is preferable and safer as is more visable. Cows could also have been in there. You been on a poop check? That'll tell you.

NB: Easiest thing to do of course is : why not ask the previous occupant? If you aren't in direct contact, one telephone call to your agent should do it.    

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:08 am »
Yup, electric. Hard to tell from pic but looks a bit high and wire spaced a bit far apart but sheep is my first guess. Although nothing as weird as folks so could have had anything in there. Other option is horses but I wouldn't use elec wire for horses, elec tape is preferable and safer as is more visable. Cows could also have been in there. You been on a poop check? That'll tell you.

NB: Easiest thing to do of course is : why not ask the previous occupant? If you aren't in direct contact, one telephone call to your agent should do it.   

Previous owner didn't keep stock so no 'poo' available to check.... he just cut the grass with a small tractor. I am hopeful it will be suitable for a couple of llamas? :-)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:12:51 pm by uppermillfarm »
Metal Detectorist

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:23 am »
They never kept stock? Hmmm, that in mind, I've just double checked the photo, what I thought to be insulators may not be then - take a look at where the wires are attached to the posts, if they are attached to the fence via plastic connectors (to stop the wire shorting out) it could be electrified if you have a zapper, if not you will not be able to use it as such without taking the wire off and putting insulators on (3 per post, one to connect each wire).

Attached link to show various types of insulator to help you know what to look for:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/search;jsessionid=D41A56A26326A1A04C413B952FAF16C5?searchTerm=fence+insulators&site=Products

:farmer:  (good site - lots of other useful stuff too)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »

Yes I thought it looked like the top wire was insulated from the posts, too. Maybe just one wire electrified. Maybe previous to the previous owner?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:28:09 pm »
Hi David, sheep would go straight through, under, between or ignore that fence ;)

It also doesnt look like it would cope with anything leaning on it and scratching their arse either so an electric line at the ideal height for the potential residents would be a good idea.

Personally I'd stock fence it - starting from the boundary and then moving inwards to your paddocks.

Even the most even minded human risks jumping an electric fence if the distance to walk around involves a long walk to the other side - animals are the same, they'll risk it if the grass looks that nice.

If an animal is happy in a field it will normally stay but if they think the grass is greener only a physical fence will stop them from trying to reach the other side.

That said my bunch of sheepies seem to think they can go where they want - you can see the walk lines that they have taken for generations and when you try to put a fence on the way they all just gather and somehow force a way under or through any obstacle thats bodged on a sunday evening by myself.

Good fencing means less stress.

Baz

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 04:05:45 pm »
They never kept stock? Hmmm, that in mind, I've just double checked the photo, what I thought to be insulators may not be then - take a look at where the wires are attached to the posts, if they are attached to the fence via plastic connectors (to stop the wire shorting out) it could be electrified if you have a zapper, if not you will not be able to use it as such without taking the wire off and putting insulators on (3 per post, one to connect each wire).

Attached link to show various types of insulator to help you know what to look for:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/search;jsessionid=D41A56A26326A1A04C413B952FAF16C5?searchTerm=fence+insulators&site=Products

:farmer:  (good site - lots of other useful stuff too)

Many thanks for the tip.... I didn't know about this store  :)
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 04:07:27 pm »

Yes I thought it looked like the top wire was insulated from the posts, too. Maybe just one wire electrified. Maybe previous to the previous owner?

I think the top wire does have a black insulator at the point of each post (will have a double check) don't get the keys until this coming week  :)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:27:48 pm by uppermillfarm »
Metal Detectorist

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 04:10:44 pm »
Hi David, sheep would go straight through, under, between or ignore that fence ;)

It also doesnt look like it would cope with anything leaning on it and scratching their arse either so an electric line at the ideal height for the potential residents would be a good idea.

Personally I'd stock fence it - starting from the boundary and then moving inwards to your paddocks.

Even the most even minded human risks jumping an electric fence if the distance to walk around involves a long walk to the other side - animals are the same, they'll risk it if the grass looks that nice.

If an animal is happy in a field it will normally stay but if they think the grass is greener only a physical fence will stop them from trying to reach the other side.

That said my bunch of sheepies seem to think they can go where they want - you can see the walk lines that they have taken for generations and when you try to put a fence on the way they all just gather and somehow force a way under or through any obstacle thats bodged on a sunday evening by myself.

Good fencing means less stress.

Baz

Cheers Baz.... I appreciate your comments and advice (oh I have so much to learn)  :farmer:
Metal Detectorist

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:06 am »
It looks like the top wire may have at one time been electric because of the old plastic insulator but if you look carefuly you will see a staple over the wire and into the post .

I've seen a three wire pig fence like that and also a a three wire fence to keep geese and crimbo ducks in check.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS