Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what do i do now?  (Read 7208 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
what do i do now?
« on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »
one of our old neighbours came round tonight to tell us he'd cut his field and did we want it for meadow hay?

asked him if it had ragwort in it and he assures me 'no' cos he walked round and checked.  says it does have a lot of clover in it though.

bless him, i think he's trying to save us a few pounds over the winter seeing he knows how the last two winters have floored us.

he cant bale it bur says we should stack it haystack like (like they've done for hundreds of years apparently!)

obviously i cant say no, so how do i make sure it's as good as it can be?
(PS - we have horses, sheep and hopefully soon, a couple of goats)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: what do i do now?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 09:22:57 pm »
There was a program called the edwardian farm it think, that showed how to make a haystack. Will ask OH
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 10:11:09 pm »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 10:26:47 pm »
Google the question "how to make a haystack"  ;D ;D ;D  http://www.leafpile.com/TravelLog/Romania/Farming/MakingaHaystack/MakingHaystack.htm

ha thats funny..."and the most dangerous step of all is extricating the wife from the top of the pile"  hilarious......and it wont be ME up there :)

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:38:05 pm »

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:16 pm »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »
I noticed your hyperlink was about Romania Doganjo

having spent some time in deepest rural Romania I can honestly state that the Romanians do make the most spectacular haystacks.

There's some good advice in John Seymour's book on self sufficiency.

Needs to start with - like - a big cartwheel on its side (not an ACTUAL one as they probably cost a fortune - but you need a raised "shelf" to keep in off the ground)

Good luck
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:42:39 am »
That pic reminds me of my uncles doing the haymaking at the farm, years ago.

I remember him telling me that they used to make haystacks outside, and what lovely hay it made - however they did it, only the outside got wet.  Sadly he died 5 years ago .....I am sure he would have explained how to go about the haystack building.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:57 am »
Might work out cheaper and easier to pay for baling and know you've got good dry bales to store..  A round baler won't take long and would be cheaper to get done than small bales, and if space is an issue then when dry, your neighbour might be happy for you to store the bales under a hap at the edge of the field til you need them.  I spend most of the year rolling round bales about ::)

Don't suppose he'd like to rent the field to be grazed after the hay is off? ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:43:32 pm »
ellie, he doesnt have fencing and it would cost a fortune to have it fenced as we've considered that one ourselves!!
no luck on finding some grzing then?
how are oyur sales going?

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 04:47:41 am »
I'll see if I can get all the info in the right order ..my brains a bit dead , I'm now just turned 60 yrs old ... I've had a mild stroke a while back which caused a bit of memory loss ..here goes

Back in the 1950's & 60's dad was a farm labourer  on a 150 acre farm ... making hay was a big family occasion  .

The haystacks my Dad , mum , two elder brothers &  Ron the farmer plus his wife used to make were firstly set on a bed of dyking hay ( hay made from the stuff that was hand mown out of the dykes / ditches orchards and any other poor quality grassed area inc willow herbs & thistles around the farm which had nettles  and all sorts of crud in it but no ragwort in it ) to a depth of about 18 inches when compressed.. this bed was to keep the good hay dry and off the ground.

The base of the stack was around 30 feet long by 20 feet wide . The laid hay was straight and laid in platforms about 12 inches thick , all laid in the same direction by the person in the " layers " position.   Keeping the layers level and even is an art to be appreciated.
Work from the edge to the middle of each stack layer & slightly increase the overhang by 2 inches or so each yard of height so it slightly resembles a muffin or an old fashioned loaf made in  a rectangular bread tin .. smaller at the base than at the top and then reducing to the ridge.
Once a layer is completed  the next one is laid off the fork at 90 degrees across it .. this helps stop the stack  sliding ..it gives the stack strength & integrity .

On the really big stacks they had someone in the " steer hole " ,, the steersman would  recieve the hay off the fork of the guy on the hay wagon or trailer   and throw it up to the "layer " still in the same orientation .

By now you can guess that the hay on the wagon / trailer was not interlocked like the  stack but all laid in the same orientation ie heads to the outside of the wagon sides & laid across the trailer .. this helps in the forking off the trailer ,the laying of the stack & helps stop the hay sliding off the sides when the wagon is moving across the fields .. the front , rear & sides of the wagon/trailer had extender boards & rails to allow  a bigger load of hay to be carted off in one go .

Once the stack starts to reach  near the top four of five rungs of the ladder now is the time to start reducing the stack bonnet to make it like a thatched roof ie reducing to a cap /ridge .
 When finished  then cover with another cap of dyking hay and shove a few 6 foot , split , bent over like a letter " n" hazel sticks ( stack nails ) in the topping to stop the wind ripping it off  ... make a series of  XXXX  using the stack nails and  some longer hazle rods in the roof all round the stack  ..   Better still if possible  use a stack net and weigh it down by hanging  off the net on ropes old tyre , bricks , logs , bags of sand or soil etc.

The stack will be quite weather proof  and can tghe stored hay can be good for several years .
Watch out for mould in the hay when using it .. best to wear a breathing mask when playing with hay for it carries a mould spore when the right moisture conditions are present that used to give rise to a complaint called " Farmers lung ".

Locate a " stack knife " ..it's a two handed  30 inch or so scythe looking blade blade with a handle at 90 degrees to the blade .Looks like a letter seven the top being the  handle . First uncover by  carefully lifting the dyking hay then cut the block and recover with the dyking hay to keep the rain out.
You stand on the hay and push it down into the hay to cut blocks ..... cut in about 3 foot squares and lift  a foot thick block at a time .  
When the stack settles & as you build it the newly laid 12 inch layers of hay compress down to about 1 to 1 & 1/2  inches thick .
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 04:54:03 am by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:14:36 am »
ellie, he doesnt have fencing and it would cost a fortune to have it fenced as we've considered that one ourselves!!

Nope, no luck finding grazing and no sales - feeding 4 bales a week and nearly July :(

I have loads of equine books and tack stuff on equestrian forums trying to raise a few quid here and there til a few ponies go but the only viewing in the pipeline is in late July due to the buyer having to wait for school holidays.. ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:33:12 am »

Nope, no luck finding grazing and no sales - feeding 4 bales a week and nearly July :(

I have loads of equine books and tack stuff on equestrian forums trying to raise a few quid here and there til a few ponies go but the only viewing in the pipeline is in late July due to the buyer having to wait for school holidays.. ::)

blooming heck!  that's a serious amount of bales each week, dread to think what that's costing every month :(  have said to people i know are looking for ponies but everyone seems to be watching their pennies just now i'm afraid

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS