Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats and old age.  (Read 16081 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Cats and old age.
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:54:55 pm »
I have three cats, Cleo is a Burmese and in  the winter likes to stay in the boiler house, she would be 13 years old and great at catching mice and rats. Paws is a black cat that we got along with his brother as kittens 17 years ago. Alas his brother died last year. Paws used to bring home rabbits some dead but not the babies. he just dumped them near the door for me to find. Jacks was my sons house cat but he moved and she did not settle so came to live with us, she is around 2 years old and kills mice but leaves the bodies all over the place. The chickens chase her, she lives in the barn and in the summer spent hours trying to catch the swallows much to my horror. I swore at her and told her she should be ashamed when those poor birds had flown such a distance to get here. When i am working outside she is alway around keeping an eye on what i am doing.   Although we have four dogs I do enjoy having the cats and in a place like this would always have them around.  :cat:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Cats and old age.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 10:34:37 pm »
My last cat Sophie was almost 20 when she died. We'd had her since she stalked in the door past the four dogs and adopted us about 18 years previously. She had been failing but was still eating well.  I went on holiday to America with the family and left my neighbours to pop in on her every day and feed her.  When I got home she came to meet the car, and immediately meowed for food.  I settled her down for the night, sorted the dogs after being in kennels, went to bed everyone happy and content.  next morning went through to the utility room and she was stretched out in her usual manner - she never slept curled up, always stretched out.  Only this time it was different - she was dead!  She had waited for me to come home. :(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 10:50:06 am »
She must have loved you a lot, often cats take themselves off to die. Years ago with had a huge tabby that we took on after his owner died. He was just 9 months old and soon settled, was great with the children and we loved him dearly. He started acting strange one day, came in, went round the family making a fuss of us all. Then went to the door and wanted out. At the time I thought your strange today. We later found him curled up under the hedge dead. He was only 12 and it was so unexpected, we were all heartbroken at his loss  :cat: :(

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:10:52 am »
I have a 18 and a half tabby right now -completly blind and so thin yet eats for the world - Hes a huge handfull and has to have a room of his own now asthe 6 month kitten is pretty wild to say the least and the german shepherd  although loves him to bits cant be left together. The cats sister dided last year after a tragic accident that shoudnt have happend and i was mortified at her loss -bit extreme comment for a cat but i was. Benny this tabby use to bring home so many presents and has slept with more girl guests to my home over the years than i have - even the ones i wanted to heheheh . heshada good life .

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 01:15:54 pm »
We have a cat who's almost 20 now, she was originally a ferrel kitten who we tamed along with her sister to have as pets. Her sister sadly died about 4 years ago, but the other one is still going strong (she's starting to look old now bless her - but can still manage the 5ft jump from the ground to the windowsill when she wants in!)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 04:04:38 pm »
We've always rehomed older cats. We had Copper, who we got at 14 because her owner had a baby and decided not to keep her (Copper not the baby) ???. Copper died a week short of her 18th birthday. Homer was 10+ when we got him from the shelter; he was FIV+ and very timid; had been a stray a long time; he had two good years with us before he had to be put to sleep when his kidneys failed.

Cassius came to us 8 years ago aged between 6 and 10; he's had a chequered veterinary history and now has cancer of the bones in his face. At the moment, he's still in great form and enjoying the sunshine here. I'm going to miss him hugely.

Felix is 7 and the baby (in all sorts of ways), has chronic cat flu contracted as a kitten but is a gem of a boy.

I love our cats and certainly wouldn't be without them.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 10:38:14 am »
From reading a few posts plus knowing ofa few farms that keep cats to keep the rat population down - i cannot think of any better excuse for more cats once i get my smallholding.. Always been a cat person- adore nats german shepherd that i have here  with me   forpast 18 months  ;D

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 02:02:23 pm »
Our former cat passed away when she was 22! My husband thinks she was ever so healthy because she stayed out at night and slept inside during the day. She was absolutely wonderful. As a kitten she used to go for walks with him. The one we have now is about 14, we offered her a home because she didn't get on with the other cats in the household and my kids just fell in love with her. She looks like my favourite duck, black with a white bib. She's a brilliant mouser and doesn't seem to be very much interested in birds.:&>

Julie S

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:47 pm »
I have had some very old cats over the years but most of them have now passed on. My oldest cats now are my 2 Bengals (13 years old) and my little tabby cat who is about 14. I have 9 other cats but their ages range from a few months to 4 years. Most of them are cats that I have rehomed from the RSPCA and I love them to bits - can't imagine life without cats although there would be much more room on the bed.... I had 7 of them curled up next to me the other night  :o
200 sheep, 4 pigs, 2 donkeys, 1 shetland pony, 12 cats and a bunch of gruesome chickens

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 08:15:29 pm »
no cat here but i have two cats which are with the kids (who live at there mum's) they have adopted me for some reason and always come to me for a wee quick tickle and a rub, am normally not a cat person always had dogs

GordonsGarden

• Joined Mar 2009
  • South Devon
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:33:52 am »
    :cat:  We have two cats one (ratfink) is 14 and started to show his age, the other robin is 9ish my g/ds rescue cat and going strong.Looking at the ages of other cats ours must have a few years left in them.(hope)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 08:55:37 pm »
I got my old cat from the RSPCA about 10 years ago and he was then thought to be about 8-10.  He was a long term stray and looks as though he was hit by a car at some point - his jaw is squint so his teeth don't meet, his nose is flat and sounds like Darth Vadar and he has a dribbly eye, but has always been the picture of health otherwise.  Recently his age has really caught up with him.  For the last month he has been hyperthyroid so is on tablets and in the last few months has started to get too stiff to clean himself properly.  He has always been very fastidious cleaning his beautiful long coat and won't tolerate being brushed.  Consequently he got matted up and today poor Bob had a proper short back and sides at the vets!  I do feel sorry for him - they've left a mohican down his spine to keep him warm - he looks utterly ridiculous!  Still love him - looks aren't everything are they?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:20:30 am »
Speaking personally, thank goodness they aren't!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:47:23 am »
Is that Dan you mean?  I think he is lovely - so if you don't like looking at him send him over here! ;D ;D ;D

Back to cats!  My Rio is moonlighting, he's a dirty stop out!  He used to live with horses before I got him and he has found some to live with up near Kennet - well maybe it's the rabbit population!  He's a killing machine where bunnies and magpies are concerned!  But he's been away for three weeks this time. Carol called me last night and I went up to take him home.  He had a lovely sachet of food (not dried which he dislikes), lots of cuddles, went up on top of the wardrobe in his usual spot while I was on the computer just as usual, slept on my bed all night, then the dogs burst open the kitchen door this morning to come and wake me, and he fled through to the cat flap...........  which I had forgotten to lock DUH!!!!  I had hoped to worm and de-flea him and keep him in for a few days but he had other ideas!  I'll get the stuff and a new collar and Carol will do it for me. Cats!  Who'd have 'em!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scattybiker1972

• Joined Dec 2009
  • wirral
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 10:26:47 pm »
just looking  around and found this,had to reply because all my cats are getting on a bit now too,  :cat: fred a blue persian  has got to be about 15 now,just starting to really show his age,fatness and alvin are 9 and we just got a kitten   :cat: .id forgotten how they destroy everything from curtains to wallpaper,keep you up at night chasing something thats invisible aaaggghhhh  >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS