Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: discharge from  (Read 4191 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
discharge from
« on: July 14, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »
Our cat had 2 kittens 3 weeks ago.  One has been much bigger than the other all along.  The bigger one's eyes have opened fully and s/he is looking very well.  The smaller of the two only has one eye open and there seems to be a slight mucousy discharge on the other eye and from it's nose?!!
Is this something anyone has come across before....or should I be getting on to the vet?  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: discharge from
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:55:11 pm »
At 3 weeks, yes, you need to see your vet - tomorrow!  It could be any number of things but it is obviously not a 100% healthy little kitten.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »
I agree, definitely vet as soon as you can.  If it was just the eye could be conjunctivitous (sp?) but with nose too may be something more.  Had to take an RSPCA kitten to the vet last week with a sticky eye.  The cream he was given worked.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 01:22:57 pm »
I had a couple of kittens with runny eyes, and got some conjunctivitis ointment from the vet.  They were not keen on having it put on their eyes, but it cleared it up quickly.  Did not have runny noses though, so not sure if yours have the same problem. Hope you got it sorted

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: discharge from eye and nose
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:48:20 pm »
Took a trip to the vet today with the kittens.  The wee one seems to only have one eye!  The vet thought there was the beginnings of the eye forming but it was sunken and wouldn't develop further.  Kitten also had an antibiotic injection and some antibiotic liquid for the slightly runny nose but the vet wasn't too concerned about it.  Was nice to have our thoughts on the sex of the kittens confirmed by the vet.  The tiny wee one is a boy and the bigger chunkier kitten is the female! Apart from his one eye and runny nose the wee fella seems healthy - the vet checked his heart and it was fine and he is walk/crawling about.  The vet advised we introduce them to solids now though to supplement the wee one's feeding.  So..we are relieved after our vet visit because although he only has one eye he seems to be AOK!!  And a tom can get away with just having one eye..can't he?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:04 pm »
Most cats can survive with one eye.  My pal has a female called Blinkie!  She's one of the best mousers I know! ;D  Glad he's OK.  Is your vet going to do anything about the bit of eye that is there?  Hope the runny nose gets better soon.  Did he give you any idea what it might be?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »
I am sure he will manage with one eye - what he has never had, he will never miss.  I am not sure they will be able to eat solids just yet - our kittens are usually 4 weeks, and then its only one of the bigger greedy ones who samples a bit of food, and decides its ok. They always start to eat cat food before learning to lap milk.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:53:42 am »
I usually start my puppies off on raw mince (good quality stuff too! ::)) Can you do the same with kittens?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS