Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: border collie cross puppies ONLY 3 LEFT!-- notts  (Read 12876 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
border collie cross puppies ONLY 3 LEFT!-- notts
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:04:40 am »
We have 3 left for sale,they will be ready on july 22nd,we have 1 girl and 2 boys left,mixed colours...back n white,white n black and a red with black mask and white on!

£200 each.£50 deposit secures

tel : 07792902299 for details or to come and see them..
'can't rain all the time!'

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: border collie cross puppies ONLY 3 LEFT!-- notts
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:36:08 pm »
crossed with what?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:30 am »
crossed with what?

Must be something special to be worth £200 a pup. :o
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:04:00 am »
wish we could get £200  a pup we have had pups go to be mountain rescue dogs and agility    and that is pure collies :farmer:

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 12:39:42 pm »
wouldn't pay that for a cross breed maybe £20
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:52 pm »
Let's just take the emotion out of this discussion and face facts!

wouldn't pay that for a cross breed maybe £20

You'll have a job to get crossbreeds for that price in the UK these days! 

Standard price for a Registered pure bred puppy of any breed ranges from £400 to £1800 depending on breed/breeding/health checks etc.  Designer dogs go for anything in that same range, sometimes more.  God knows why, because health checks aren't usually done and it's usually mediocre dogs that are bred from because they don't succeed in any other field.  But crossbreeds with no particular name can be anything from £50/£75 upwards for a pup at 7 weeks +.  If it is a lab/collie cross they are popular and will sell for about £200.  Again, I have no idea why. I wouldn't have one in a gift!

Even the rescue societies don't charge less than £100 and that's for mostly adult dogs with unknown parentage, unknown inherent health problems, and unknown age, AND they insist on neutering so they can't be bred from - now THAT is a good thing!

If this litter has been thoughtfully reared with good food, wormed, and properly weaned, and the parents are good workers, and have good temperaments I see no reason for the price to be wrong.  Having said that I personally wouldn't own a crossbreed or mongrel - but that's just me.  There is no such thing as 'hybrid vigour' in dogs, in fact the opposite can be the case if health checks are not done.

I would ask, does this litter have these attributes?
JMHO
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 02:04:36 pm »
And if you want proof - from a friend's face book page right this minute:
there are German setters advertised for 200quid in the paper. who can guess what they are!
German shorthaired pointer x Irish Setter
and Chirussells for 300quid
GSD X Setter? Or would they be Irish Shepherds!
Yeah your right .
Pugapoo's in our local paper ... £600 each!!
Call me a purist but I'm just not a fan of any of these "designer" crossbreeds!
Ive been told anything with poo in the name sells like hot cakes!Some of these large breed cross ups is scary,dread to think what they will be like as adults!
There are Great Dane X Newfoundland puppies in our local paper!!!
A few months ago there was a newfie x poodle. Wouldn't like to be their groomers!
Up here a while ago there was Basset Hound x Boston Terriers in the papers -  Apparently his vet told him that the Basset x Boston litter was an ok cross to do
 I laughed at my neighbour when he proudly told he his dog was a cockerpoo - I don't think he understood why I was laughing...I just can't believe the prices people are prepared to pay, and then they back it up with "it's better than a pure-bred dog with health problems".
I know. Especially when they proudly tell you they had to have an overnight trip when they went to buy it as it was x amount of miles and they spent 2k on it! Err you do know that if you looked in the paper you would have had a choice from about 5 litters in your area lol
I have just learned to bite my tongue now- and say ' good luck with your vets bills'..........
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:23:21 pm »
To me that price is fair, it sorts out the "go on let's have a pup" and the "we would love a dog and have given it lot's of thought"
Long gone are the days when you could go to the pet shop, market or pick up a dog from the paper for a few  quid unless there was something wrong with it! After all, price and value is dependant on what people will pay, a bit like anything!! I say if you cannot afford £200 then you will not be able to afford to keep a dog!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »
To me that price is fair, it sorts out the "go on let's have a pup" and the "we would love a dog and have given it lot's of thought"
Long gone are the days when you could go to the pet shop, market or pick up a dog from the paper for a few  quid unless there was something wrong with it! After all, price and value is dependant on what people will pay, a bit like anything!! I say if you cannot afford £200 then you will not be able to afford to keep a dog!
Well said, Sandy! That's exactly what I think. 

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »
Nothing to do with affording it just wouldn't pay it ;D have 2 large dogs that I love both rescues one Akidoor hahaha Akita x Labrador and an American Bulldog both rescues both cost me a lot more than £20 that was expected rescues need to pay their costs.

I just think this craze for crosses is a bit out of control. I went into our local shop today they have a new puppy, if they are to be believed, they have an Akita Timber wolf cross. A 6 month old it looks like it could be, not a nice dog growls at everything and everybody. We live in South Yorks and they say the dog has been bought in Glasgow. What next Hyenas, African Wild Dogs? Having a few hundred quid to throw at buying a dog does NOT make a good/responsible dog owner, why is it always about money and I know plenty of good people who are short of cash and plenty of loaded idiots

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 10:45:49 pm »
Nothing to do with affording it just wouldn't pay it ;D have 2 large dogs that I love both rescues one Akidoor hahaha Akita x Labrador and an American Bulldog both rescues both cost me a lot more than £20 that was expected rescues need to pay their costs.

I just think this craze for crosses is a bit out of control. I went into our local shop today they have a new puppy, if they are to be believed, they have an Akita Timber wolf cross. A 6 month old it looks like it could be, not a nice dog growls at everything and everybody. We live in South Yorks and they say the dog has been bought in Glasgow. What next Hyenas, African Wild Dogs? Having a few hundred quid to throw at buying a dog does NOT make a good/responsible dog owner, why is it always about money and I know plenty of good people who are short of cash and plenty of loaded idiots
But that is the point! We agree on that - but this litter is just an ordinary crossbreed litter - not designer dogs at all.  That is where stupid Joe Bloggs is making the mistake.  Thinks he gets a good quality pup if it has a fancy name and he pays a lot of money for it!

Sandy

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:13 pm »
I agree with Hatty and Anne, money is not what makes a good dog owner but it certainly pays the vet fees.  We are definatly not flush with money but our dogs are like our babies and we would go without to treat them if needed, little sods have done in all thier poshish collars so they are back with the cheap ones!!!
I am always amazed at what clever marketing can do and how easy people are influenced, I would love to come up with a good desiger dog and sell it for loads and get a lot of recognition but, thats not us, thats why we are not flush!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
We paid £100 for a border collie bitch last Novemeber from working parents (we bought from the shepherd).  she's a beauty, a lovely big sook and is brilliantly well behaved around our sheep.  I was expecting them to ask around £250 and was shocked and delighted at the £100 price tag (we had a choice of 3).  Should have bought the other 2 and sold them at a profit by the sounds of things! :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 11:28:16 am »
There was a litter advertised on here recently stating they were 'Priced to sell...'  I was horrified - Nothing like that to encourage - 'Ah heck, lets take two of them!' At least a higher price may encourage a little more thought before parting with cash and hopefully being thoroughly home checked etc before pup leaves...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS