Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FOXES !!  (Read 12825 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: FOXES !!
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2011, 08:30:35 pm »

I thought the idea was to give the fox the least advantage possible? Now dont get me wrong, if people want to ride around in red jackets etc thats their business, but to try and excuse it as a 'service to the rural community' is stretching it,
[/quote]

Obviously you don't know your local hunt or the services they provide to the rural community for example fallen stock collection and disposal, local community events, employment to rural communities and yes believe it or not they look after the land as well the hunt is secondary to the work they do everyday. I have been involved with local hunts since I was very small and have never wore a red jacket yet just warm waterproof riding gear the same as I do when out for a hack.
The idea is to hunt to take out the weak and diseased and leave a strong fox community which have a very high chance of evading capture and put the balance of predator and prey right, which stops the foxes running a mock like they are now under the current ban.
The hounds are well trained and the whip will not allow them in until the fox is dead, but as with everyday life accidents happen and a hound may catch a live one just the same as if when out walking and my dog catches a rabbit and kills it is not planned or premeditated and everything is done to prevent it.

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2011, 09:23:47 am »
Obviously you don't know your local hunt or the services they provide to the rural community for example fallen stock collection and disposal, local community events, employment to rural communities and yes believe it or not they look after the land as well the hunt is secondary to the work they do everyday. I have been involved with local hunts since I was very small

"fallen stock disposal" thats when they collect carcasses to feed the dogs rather than buy dog food? anyway is that not forbidden under some EU directive?
Looking after the land? not according to most I have spoken to, apart from fencing damage, pasture loss due to poaching and the spread of disease just what benefits do they bring?
Local community events? true I suppose but 'hunt balls' have never been my thing.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2011, 09:53:32 am »

"fallen stock disposal" thats when they collect carcasses to feed the dogs rather than buy dog food? anyway is that not forbidden under some EU directive?
Looking after the land? not according to most I have spoken to, apart from fencing damage, pasture loss due to poaching and the spread of disease just what benefits do they bring?
Local community events? true I suppose but 'hunt balls' have never been my thing.

no fallen stock is not necessarily fed to the hounds they have a licence for correct disposal. The owners of the land are asked if land can be used and they never damage my land when they cross it or both the live stock and local community events are more than the occasional ball they run point to points which allows amateur jockeys to come through and be licenced to move there career on, they organise events most months that benefit the community as well as teaching young one good horsemanship and how to ride safely.
If you keep livestock it is to your advantage to know the local huntsmen/women as they have knowledge that can be very useful and the animal welfare will point you towards the hunt kennels when you have fallen stock.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »
 really sorry for your ducks and chickens,but we cannot blame the fox in this case,the fox was just looking for its next meal,just try to have your locks and doors checked regularly so this massacre doesnt happen again ,i repeat .it was not the foxes fault

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:39 am »
snaring that is another pet hate of mine who gives the tollies the right to come on my land and set snares and catch cats

Now I had to go and look up 'tollies' because the herd prefix of my neighbour who used to have the Jersey herd (and who bred Hillie's great great grandfather) was TOLLIE.  So I didn't think it could be a term of abuse.  (I never have asked her why TOLLIE.)

Thanks to wiktionary, all is explained.

Tollie ;  English n. bullock (from ithole Zulu for calf); Scottish n. (vulgar) a piece of ess-aitch-one-tee

And we thought it was Britain and America who are "two nations divided by a common language".   ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2011, 07:40:19 am »
sally it has taken you a while to work that one out                  all you need to do is ask                    poke is another one that has poles apart meaning :farmer:

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »
Amanda, I am sorry to hear your news, we have a pair of Buzzards that nest every year in the trees by my chicken coupe and the young terrify the life out of my chickens I have got through about 6 cockerels now they always take the attack though they did start to take my meat bird chicks from my shed I would open the shed door so the youngsters could have some fresh air on a nice hot day and when it can to lock up I would be 1 or 2 birds down, my Jack Russell tends to take care of the fully grown Foxes and my cat will take care of the babies perhaps get yourself a couple of Feral cats they are very good and taking care of the babies. Everybody see the posters of the cute little fox cubes they don't show the pictures of the trauma they cause to livestock. if you don't have electric fencing invest in some they help.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2011, 12:47:34 am »
sally it has taken you a while to work that one out                  all you need to do is ask                    poke is another one that has poles apart meaning :farmer:

Ok, I'll bite. :D      'poke'?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 07:30:14 am »
Before i start i mean no offence just voicing my opinion!

Firstly the comment really early on(cant remeber it exactly) 'foxes eat all they kill' WRONG they are just killing machines they will kill the whole area and maybe take 1 or 2.

Secondly coley you obviously have a HUGE problem with hunts and us 'Weirdos'. They hunt will always come when asked to dispatch foxes by legal means, and do provide service to rural communities. And they have the greatest respect for their quarry and countryside, will take young'uns under their wings and teach them valuable life skills!!!

You say that shooting is humane?? Well lets think about it hunting will kill at most around 30 foxes a season!! Shooting whether it be lamping, or using a shotgun. You could kill up to 30 in a week. Our neibouring estate shot 30 in 1 night!!! Think about that, hunting ONLY takes out the weak and the old to keep the fox population in control. Foxes have no natural predator apart from humans!

Shooting; which im heavily involved with, can leave a fox with shotgun injuries because of a bad or misplaced shot, same with rifles(although less often) thats ok with you because its humane. But you clearly dislike the hunt even though a fox will rarely and thats like 1 in 100000000000000000 get away from the hounds if the fox is weak and or old. A fit fox can outrun a pack of hounds!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS