Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat-proof chicken feeder  (Read 13401 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Rat-proof chicken feeder
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:11:01 am »
We bought a rat-proof treadle feeder the other day as we are sick of feeding the local bird/mouse/rat population (end keeping them wormed!)

The chickens are quite cautious about it and they are getting very hungry.

We have put a brick on the treadle and covered the base plate with card and they are at least taking pellets that we put on the card now.

Anybody got any tips on how to train them to use the treadle?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: Rat-proof chicken feeder
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:06 am »
We bought a similar feeder at the RWAS show this year a few weeks back.

It's got three settings:

1. To get them used to the feeder the treadle sits on the ground with the lid open. So no movement in the treadle.

2. To get them used to the treadle, the intermediate setting has the lid half-open and the treadle has a small amount of movement.

3. Once they've got the hang of that it's closed, with it only opening when a hen stands on the treadle.

This is all explained here: http://www.grandpasfeeders.co.uk/how-it-works

It's controlled using screws that stop the levers at certain points. I can't see from your photo exactly how your's works, but you could probably rig something similar up?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:50:19 pm »
Anybody got any tips on how to train them to use the treadle?

Having wrestled in vain with rats for several years (at a previous location where I had to leave ad-lib food out for the hens), I am tempted to say, "The rats will work it out and they can copy the rats"!  But if you're not in north-east Exmoor perhaps your rats aren't quite so damnably intelligent as the ones I was failing to beat...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »
I've seen various types of these rat proof feeders but we get big rats here (I put down endless supplies of poison pellets) and I think they would just be as heavy as a hen and could easily stand on it - am I missing something?  my OH keep going on about getting one but I just can't see it as a deterant - anyone know otherwise? ???
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Mowerman

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:01:23 am »
We have a Grandpa's Feeder, and are delighted with it. The reason the rats cant get to the the food is because they just aren't heavy enough to open it. Pest control people always reckon people say "we've got the biggest rats" but they aren't as heavy as a chicken.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:32 am »
Think ours are related to the beaver.... ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS