Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broodies  (Read 8638 times)

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Broodies
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:20:25 pm »
I'm happy to announce my broodie is sat contented on six fertilised eggs, she is sat very tight and doesn't want to move at all, slightly worried ! should i make her get up to poo, eat ect or just leave her to it ?
 just to add her nest is clean and she has eaten a bit of food

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »
our marsh daisy has gone broody too. shes on 6 sussex eggs. and happy as larry.
good luck  :wave:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:35 pm »
Juno, are you sure she's not moving?

I've had a broody who's been sitting just inside the garage door and I had assumed for the first week or so that she'd not been moving at all. However, over the last couple of weeks I've spotted her out and about a couple of times. But today, when her chicks hatched, she drank all the water in her bowl for the first time since she started sitting. So I can only conclude that she had actually been out every day for a drink until today when the chicks finally arrived.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 06:47:23 am »
one of our broodys is on our turkey eggs
we put 2 followed by another 2 later that day......... not sure what happened but the next morning only 2 again......... no sign of eggshell etc if they were eaten
just keeping the 2 now and we'll see what happens.......

;D

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 09:33:06 am »
I moved my broody and her chicks in to a little coop with attached run this morning and found she'd managed to hatch 9 out of 12 so I'm feeling pretty pleased!

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 06:36:33 pm »
 ;D Brilliant!
Still got a bit of a wait for mine :)

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 10:25:31 am »
She is moving today she left the eggs for just over an hour while she stretched her legs ::), is this too long should i restict her from doing this

GOD i'm never happy  :D worried she isn't moving enough and now worried she is moving too much lol xx

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:08 pm »
Mine was moving around for about an hour in the afternoons and hatched them all fine, so try not to worry!

Ben

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 12:36:38 am »
Well feel a little bad as I started this one and been absent  :-[ So sorry. What great news though I'm so pleased you've all had a go and with some great results.
Well my girls have gone broody again and today I put 6 eggs under each, one of them almost took the egg out of my hand with her feet as i was putting them in lol.

So two Buff Orp's sitting on 12 Orp hatching eggs  ;D Will see how we go, very interesting and great fun for my daughter.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 12:43:45 am »
I moved my broody and her chicks in to a little coop with attached run this morning and found she'd managed to hatch 9 out of 12 so I'm feeling pretty pleased!
Wow what a brilliant result you must be well chuffed, very well done.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 12:44:48 am »
She is moving today she left the eggs for just over an hour while she stretched her legs ::), is this too long should i restict her from doing this

GOD i'm never happy  :D worried she isn't moving enough and now worried she is moving too much lol xx

How did you get on Juno?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 03:07:55 pm »
At long last one of my girls has gone broody, we had eggs in the incubator which should hatch next week so today we took away the eggs she was sitting on and gave her the new ones, all being well we should have some nice new blood.

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 03:47:24 pm »
Excelent. They will do a far better job than your incubator I recon  ;D Good luck, hopefully she will sit tight. :wave:

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
One egg thrown out and broken today. I'm guessing she knew that that particular egg wasn't fertile, they can tell usually and will reject un fertile or eggs that have dead embrio's

For birds with small brains and not the best commendation of smartness  :dunce: there are times when they beat us at judgment. lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS