Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! poorly chick  (Read 3022 times)

Badger

• Joined May 2010
Help! poorly chick
« on: June 19, 2011, 03:47:39 pm »
We have had a broody sitting on 6 bantam eggs. Friday evening 2 hatched, the broody seemed to be trying to get them to come out into the run to eat & drink. This morning one of the chicks was dead, and now the second chick is not looking to good either. There was also food & water inside the box aswell, but we dont think the chicks have fed or drunk since Friday evening. We have just now removed the surviving chick,and placed it in a hay filled shoebox, the chick is sitting on a fluffy warm hot water bottle in the kitchen, by the window in the sunlight. It is now drinking from a teaspoon of water, we have also put some grains of chickfeed next to the spoon. How can we keep her warm overnight though ?. what else can/should we do ?. Help please, we would really love to save her/him. It doesn't look as if the 4 remaining eggs are going to do anything.

Badger

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Help! poorly chick
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 04:06:37 pm »
Sorry you're having problems  :-* If I'm honest, it probably stands its best chance with mum, she sounds like she's doing the right things. They won't need to have eaten or drunk for the first 24 hours after hatching, they have 'reserves' from the yolk for that long.  

You'd need to keep such a young chick at at least 36C, which really needs a heat lamp or a brooder. And one on it's own would be lonely.

One might have died because she didn't keep under her mum and got cold. But also chicks die because they're weak and I suppose that's nature's way of doing things. I think you're right, those other eggs probably aren't going to hatch now so take them away, then mum just has to concentrate on her chick.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 04:10:23 pm by jaykay »

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »
I see your reasoning, but when we found the chick it was on it's back with it,s legs in the air. I dont think it would have lasted very long had we left it. Supposing it makes it....could we reintroduce it to the broody after a few days ?.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:48:32 pm »
Leave the eggs until a  week after they were due to hatch - i.e. 28 days.  some hatch later than others.  Sounds like your broody is inexperienced if she encouraged them out of the nest that early.  Is she a bantam too - if she is standard size then her weight may be too much for the chicks and you coudl have more casualties. The chick in the box should be OK but don't put it back out till it is drinking and pecking voluntarily.  The box should be warm enough for it, but you could put it near a radiator overnight.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

scottyboy

• Joined May 2011
  • forfar scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:32 pm »
I use desk lamp with a flexible head bent over a small box and i use a 60 or 100 watt lamp this will keep the chick adequately warm its simple and very effective Good Luck

Badger

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:45:45 pm »
Thank you Doganjo & Scottyboy, you both answered a couple of more questions I was going to ask. Firstly the second chick also did not make it. Yesterday I frantically made up a brooding box with a lamp suspended over, to raise the temp to 34c. Unfortunately I think it was all too late. Yes the broody is a LF Marran, we were wondering if her size may be a problem brooding a tiny bantam chick. Is this considered not a good practise ?. Also the cooler weather of late means that the brooding box in the garden may not be as warm as it might have ordinarily been at this time of year ?. We will try again later maybe, but possibly LF eggs. Any other advice/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Badger

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »
Just think of the relative size - I don't think I'd put wee bantams under a big hen.  I've had a hen raise ducklings though - now THAT is funny!  Just watch the hen when her babies head for the water for the first time - what a blooming racket she makes!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS