Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: do agricultural buildings incurr business rates ??  (Read 22069 times)

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
do agricultural buildings incurr business rates ??
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:06:59 am »
I just wonder if any of you can guide me on this. I understand  maybe in england 5,400 square feet is the max size building you can have on a smallholding ?

or is that the maximum size on a 12 acre land as thats the size of land i enquired about when i got that reply from
a land agent.

Does a building incur business rates for agricultural use ?

I'm assuming not??

Whilst I'm on the the subject are business rates  paid on agricultural land ? That never crossed my mind at all but while we are on the subject.

I would be most grateful for any of your adviceson any of these concerns thank you- Ian aka lordlonk

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
Re: do agricultural buildings incurr business rates ??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:04:27 pm »
Don't know is the short answer to that one!! I would have thought it would depend on whether you intend to operate as a business. Probably best to check with your local council.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 12:25:15 pm »
my gut feeling is  if you use it for anything other than agriculture in england and wales as maybe scotland is different then  im sure they will want  correct planning consents and business rates - if its for grain or cattle im certain they dont aquire the rates .

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:05 pm »
As far as I'm aware there are no business rates on agricultural land or on Agricultural buildings.  Be aware that if you change the use of the building you will have to pay rates.  A friend of mine was fixing his car in his (agricultural) barn when he had a visit from SEERED. It took 4 phone calls several letters and another visit to prove to them he was not running a vehicle repair business!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:44:21 pm »
Blimey -thanks dave - so they do spot checks on what you have and what you dont have in your own buildings ? -I hate the thought of being snooped on even if i only have hay and straw in the buildings. I would think that once the planning officers have visted the site to make sure the structure has been errected to there satisfaction that would be the end of it.

thanks again

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 04:24:09 pm »
there are plans to make ALL agricultural buildings rateable , and checks are already being carried out to make sure that agri buildings are used for that purpose only . If you use them to store anything other than animal feed or farm implements , you are likely to have those buildings re-assessed as rateable. This has already happened to two people I know. Land is next on the list . ALL land will become rated at some time in the future. Thats another reason why they wanted all animals to have passports etc.. That way they know who has what and where , and they can then tax everything. The next thing that is on the way after that is, land ALL LAND will have to be on the land registry. The law changed a few years ago stating that you had to register any purchase of land with the registry. Any land bought before that did not need to be registered. That will change and it will be down to every individual to register their land . If they don't, then unregistered land, can be claimed by the state. If land were to be claimed by the state , it would be down to the individual to pay for any court cases to sort out ownership and registration . Hows that for a land grab ? There will also be very high fines imposed for non-registration. Once again people are unaware of how much we are being clamped in whatever direction we look . The little black boxes that show every where you have been , what speed you have done , will soon be in every new car made . Speeding fines will be sent automatically by post and you will then get the bill for the amount of miles you travelled on the road, this is yet another one they are TALKING ? about.  Siemens is already making the black boxes.  I remember reading a book at school when I was  kid thinking "what a load of old tosh, that will never happen !!" well the book was  '1984' and we are so far past that in many respects that it now seems very mild.  Sorry to wander off topic there , but it is all related and I think that it is way past time we said enough is ENOUGH .....Rant over . Yes I am a grumpy old man . Getting grumpier by the day . ??? ??? ???

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:03:21 pm »
he next thing that is on the way after that is, land ALL LAND will have to be on the land registry. The law changed a few years ago stating that you had to register any purchase of land with the registry. Any land bought before that did not need to be registered.

All transfers of property in Scotland have to be put on the Land Registry, a detailed drawing must be prepared by an architect, arch technician or surveyor, and a Land Certificate obtained by your lawyer - that has been the case for a number of years.  It is a very useful register, saves any neighbour disputes as to who owns what.  A property only goes on the register when sold (or transferred), so there are still numerous properties not on it as yet, but they are on the old Register of Sasines without properly constituted OS map references.
http://www.ros.gov.uk/
Annie
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:08:50 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:26 pm »
Ian

I should have mentionad that the building concerned was subject to a grant to build it, that was why it was checked!  SEERAD are the scottish equivalent of DEFRA, not planning.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:50 pm »
Twenty odd years ago, I remember saying to someone that email would never catch on...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:12:38 pm »
 ::)  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 07:48:53 am »
Good morning to everyone. Got a nice cup of coffee - read russ post and my jaw dropped. Good you wrote that and im not surprised of what you say.  I guess the state police will have the powers once again to insist you allow them into your world to enable them to charge rates on everything. In theory a tax on the land and the buildings and if we took the land alone this would surely mean a increase in all cost production of everything that is grown . I'm sure it would be a complex tax - We know a pensioner that lives on his own on his old farm with many acres unfarmed - he would have to receive exemptions for not working the land so that in theory would apply to land unused by any party surely. In the very unstable market place and credit crunch it would be a very brave government to bring it in but I'm sure they will from what you write . They want to charge extra rates on a home based on the improvements you have made on it and so I'm sure they will sneak this one in too. I'm sure it will be the final straw for so many farmers .It will be intersting following this  one - Can there be any winners other than the treasury -i don't think so- farmers will droplikeflies or the cost of living will go through the roof.The  registration of land seems a sensible one ?(at least your title is shown and whats rightfully yours ) Howeveer there will be many that wont realise I'm sure . The cars will happen I'm sure to and maybe we can then have insurance for just the times we use the vehicle . But once again big brother is watching you - and watching and watching -from the sky - keeping our emails and our mobile calls - watching where we go - how we drive and looking in our big sheds. My office i rent is 3 floors above a shop which is being refurbished by a bakers at present . Fire chiefs came round with conservation officer - wanted to see the upper floors - (mine)  - decided it was a fire risk to them and me ? (your not allowed to through a room to a room ) i have to move my first floor offices to the rear of the building - only use the rest of that floor as storage - the second floor I'm no longer allowed to use So i'm having to relocate it all from floor 2 and 3 to floor one -i have to install all these recommendations and a 23 page fire assessment  form to fill in -a inspection coming up-  smoke alarms -and more - plus i cant get a reduction in business rates or rent . You cant do anything any more without  anyone wanting a piece of you - George Orwell was so  correct. Apparently from his old home in London within 100 yards  of his old  home theres a 100 cameras watching -theres 4.2 million cameras in UK - geez- wont be any on my smallholding - but oh yes there will be the ones in the sky of course.
Horrible world - back to the Victorian farm -Ian - Just as grumpy as Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS