Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blight NOW?  (Read 3731 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
blight NOW?
« on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:25 am »
some of my potatoes, which are not even a foot high are showing some yellowing leaves - is it not a bit early for blight? Could it have been the dry spell? Only hoping ... :&>

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: blight NOW?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:33:22 am »
I would have thought it is too early but really it depends on the weather.  Has it been very hot and high humidity for a few days, night as well as day above 10C?  There is a farmers blightwatch site you could check - sorry I don't know the URL

Yellow leaves could be various other things - take off any you see and pop them straight into a bag so minimum chance of spreading spores if there are any, then dispose of them away from the potatoes. I have had whole plants collapse from something other than blight, so you may be ok.    Also only water from below, so the leaves are not wet. Fingers crossed it's not blight  :spud: :spud:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
kerstin, mine seem to be ok and so do my outdoor toms so maybe it is something else?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:07 pm »
There is a farmers blightwatch site you could check - sorry I don't know the URL

Being inquisitive, I had a look.  (I'm also supposed to be doing some paperwork so pretty much anything else is more interesting than getting on with that.)  There's blightwatch.co.uk, which is a 'register for alerts' free service, you can ask for alerts for up to 10 part-postcodes (ie, first part of postcode) but there's also the Potato Council who have maps you can just click on.  You can register for alerts too but you don't seem to need to register to look at the maps and lists of incidents.  So far as I could tell there have been no incidents in 2011 in the British Isles, you will be glad to know. 

http://www.potato.org.uk/department/knowledge_transfer/fight_against_blight/index.html?menu_pos=knowledge_transfer
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »
I think there is black leg around at the moment, so do a bit of googling for images just in case it is that

I had blight INCREDIBLY early one year, and everyone said it couldn't be, but it was, and the reason  ???  I had used some compost and by mistake the previous year the blighted tops had been included.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

The Beak

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:38 pm »
some of my potatoes, which are not even a foot high are showing some yellowing leaves - is it not a bit early for blight? Could it have been the dry spell? Only hoping ... :&>

I have this problem and the yellowing of the leaves progressed on charlotte spuds. I thought it was the dry but I now see I have eelworm - damned annoyed. Lift a root and look at the tubers. Are they small and are there tiny small swellings (1mm - use a magnifying glass) on the roots? If so my condolences. If not you are in the clear - lucky you.

I have already used bordeux mixture with this recent wet and humid weather - not sure the blight watch website has been very accurate for my spuds and toms in the past.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:36:34 pm by The Beak »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS