Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scaly Leg ++??  (Read 2066 times)

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Scaly Leg ++??
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:27:12 pm »
One of my Black Rocks (I have 4) - 8 months old, has what I think is scaly leg, but when I inspected her more closely, I see that she has a scaly band round her neck as well - not immediately obvious until you look.  She has lost a few of the tiny tiny feathers just at the back of her comb but this area is not scaly.  She's eating fine.  Any ideas?  I have oiled her legs.

sheepnewbies

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Scaly Leg ++??
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:14:48 pm »
Does anybody have any advice?  Please.....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Scaly Leg ++??
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »
The only things I know about scaly leg are:

(a) Victoria Roberts says you use white spirit, dip the whole leg (both legs) and you have to do it several times until it is cleared up.  And again if it comes back.  And again...

(b) friends who breed different breeds each year and supply eggs to their locals all year round, and know a lot about poultry, in the end got rid of all their birds, burnt all their housing, built everything from scratch and since then have only ever brought eggs in, never ever again live birds.

Sorry I don't know whether the thing you describe on the neck is scaly leg or not.  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS