Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: micro/mini pigglets  (Read 10398 times)

AengusOg

Re: micro/mini pigglets
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
mini/micro/teacup pigs are not a breed, the breeders breed from the runt of the litter to keep them small. I do not agree with this, this is interfeering with nature.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, it has to be said that any breeding of animals where natural selection is denied is interfering with nature. It's only when breeders have little or no idea of genetics and sensible breeding practice that problems occur. I am not suggesting that the OP falls into that category.

Most breeds of domesticated animals are selectively bred for specific traits which are desirable to us, and line breeding and, at times, in-breeding, are the means by which developments are made. Yet many people recoil in horror if one suggests using two closely-related individuals in a breeding programme.

All the poultry breeds have been developed using line-breeding techniques, yet people still believe they can improve on their stock by consistently using unrelated stock. Line-breeding and occasional in-breeding, with timely use of a suitable outcross, is what fixes desirable points in a breed. The problems occur when undesirable points are perpetuated in a breed, and this can be caused by ignorance, or bad choice of stock, or just plain bad luck.

Good breeding is not just about producing perfect babies; it requires a critical breeder and much culling or, at the very least, the non-inclusion of certain individuals from the breeding pool.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:54:30 pm by AengusOg »

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »
I met a real live micro pig yesterday  :-\ She'd come (as a weaner) from Little Pig Farm down south (Jane Croft's place) along with her sister. The sister died 2 weeks after arriving and the owners are still waiting for a refund, the pig is now 16 months old  ::) and lovely though she is - she is NOT small. She looks for all the world like a vietnamese pot bellied pig, but with a serious worm burden, weight issues and what looks like a touch of mange. Not to mention the bad leg and eye problems - the new owners were given NO CARE INFORMATION and the seller delivered the pigs to them so they never saw parents, conditions etc.
I can honestly say, that she's much the same size (if not bigger) than Beewyched's 16 month old KK. But I'm going back to worm her this pm, so will know her weight by then and report back  ;)

Lill - there are some European micro pigs which are recognised in their own countries and are backed up by a long pedigree of consistantly small size and good health, some of them have made their way to the UK - but most of the micro's here originated from Rob Rose in Cumbria (guy off the Lakes programme) so draw your own conclusions on that one  ;) (I'm banned from watching it now lol!)
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:44 pm »
the pot belly pigs appear in most if not all dwarf pigs the ones at lanark , him from the lakes his pigs ,Jane crofts pigs
yes breeding is a funny old thing there was a programme on the telly about pigs ages ago were an intensive farmer had derived his breeding stock from some ugly foreign pig that had 18 teats to enable his pigs to rear larger than average litters
just heard today pets at home were selling these dwarf pigs(don't know if direct or an advert in the store) and somebody was keen to have one in her flat at £700-£800 per pig     in all probability it would be the guy that was trying to sell them at lanark

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 07:27:56 pm »
Okay, so Mollie the micro weighed in at 110Kg  :o
Her heart girth is 1.24m and length is 1.04m, not sure yet how it compares to a 16 month old KK (will check tomorrow, when the wind has stopped) but my 8 month old castrate is 50Kg.

Can't see that Pets at Home would be allowed to sell micro pigs (can you imagine the legislative hoo ha) but you never know  ::)

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 08:09:51 pm »
well 110 kilos is not mini micro or dwarf      that is one big pet and once it gets shot of its worms it will get bigger
it was somebody that works beside my daughter          phone has been busy all day at pets at home  :pig: (falkirk)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 10:53:54 pm »
somebody was keen to have one in her flat at £700-£800 per pig

I know sometimes it's hard to keep away unwanted visitors, but spending £700 on a house pig still seems a bit extreme to me!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

myvada

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:51 am »
where about are you in s. Wales i'm looking for a small boar

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 10:47:41 am »
Myvada
THER IS NO SUCH THING AS A SMALL BOAR......... ARE YOU BLIND OR NOT READ WHAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN!! ::) ::)

Boars grow big, all my three could sit in the palm of your hand, one is now 45 stones, one is about 40 stone and the youngets at 9 months old is around 20 stone.

GET A GRIP THERE IS NO SUCH ANIMAL.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... some people!

Mandy :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »
I met a real live micro pig yesterday  :-\ She'd come (as a weaner) from Little Pig Farm down south (Jane Croft's place) along with her sister. The sister died 2 weeks after arriving and the owners are still waiting for a refund, the pig is now 16 months old  ::) and lovely though she is - she is NOT small. She looks for all the world like a vietnamese pot bellied pig, but with a serious worm burden, weight issues and what looks like a touch of mange. Not to mention the bad leg and eye problems - the new owners were given NO CARE INFORMATION and the seller delivered the pigs to them so they never saw parents, conditions etc.
I can honestly say, that she's much the same size (if not bigger) than Beewyched's 16 month old KK. But I'm going back to worm her this pm, so will know her weight by then and report back  ;)

Lill - there are some European micro pigs which are recognised in their own countries and are backed up by a long pedigree of consistantly small size and good health, some of them have made their way to the UK - but most of the micro's here originated from Rob Rose in Cumbria (guy off the Lakes programme) so draw your own conclusions on that one  ;) (I'm banned from watching it now lol!)
Karen  :wave:

Just caught up with this thread - oh dear, here we go again with the "micro" thing  :o  The 16-month old KK gilt (currently staying with her boyfriend at HH's) is by far the largest KK we have - probably by at least 4 inches in height - so that expensive, unhealthy "micro" pig is certainly not small!!!
Karen - have you managed to work out her weight yet - I'm most interested to see what she should weigh (for those who don't know she (the gilt) was rather spoilt & "porky"  :D before she went on her honeymoon  :-[ )
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:58 am »
I think I mentioned in another thread that the ONLY mini pig lives wild in the Himalayas, is ten inches high, about sixteen inches long and weighs about ten pounds, fully grown. THEY CANNOT BE DOMESTICATED!! in case anyone is packing a suitcase(with room for a couple of piglets ;D) and booking a flight!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 10:49:41 am »
Pets at home in Taunton had an advert in for mini/micro pigs which didn't go don't to well when I told the people that were interested in it that there is no such thing and showed them pictures of a fully grown pig and what they could end up with for a stupid amount of money. These people were nice and had land and common sense so I gave them details of the local market and also some breeders details in the area which they are going to look into. They said it would be nice to know what size they are going to get finally and then could accomodate the pigs properly - I like sensible people even if they did see my tantrum :-[

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 04:16:05 pm »
Just caught up with this thread - oh dear, here we go again with the "micro" thing  :o  The 16-month old KK gilt (currently staying with her boyfriend at HH's) is by far the largest KK we have - probably by at least 4 inches in height - so that expensive, unhealthy "micro" pig is certainly not small!!!
Karen - have you managed to work out her weight yet - I'm most interested to see what she should weigh (for those who don't know she (the gilt) was rather spoilt & "porky"  :D before she went on her honeymoon  :-[ )
Just figured it out  ;)
Okay, Portia (the porky  :o) and pregnant Kune Kune tipped the scales (well, the piece of rope ;)) at 112Kg, so she's a whole 2Kg heavier than the 'micro'  :o BUT she's MUCH prettier  ;D :love: :pig: :love:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 07:25:56 pm »
Just figured it out  ;)
Okay, Portia (the porky  :o) and pregnant Kune Kune tipped the scales (well, the piece of rope ;)) at 112Kg, so she's a whole 2Kg heavier than the 'micro'  :o BUT she's MUCH prettier  ;D :love: :pig: :love:
Well, I think that settles it then - at over half-way through her pregnancy, a registered, full grown (& spoilt  :D ) Kune Kune gilt (who is the largest in our herd) weighs just 2kg more than an expensive, unregistered, of questionable breeding, "micro" pig sold by one of the UK's most prominant (infamous?) "micro" pig breeders !
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »
Check your email Lynne, I've sent you a photo  ;)
Karen  :-*

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 10:16:22 pm »
IMHO Kunes are much, much prettier than "micro" pigs

:love: :pig: :love:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS