Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: micro/mini pigglets  (Read 10382 times)

furryfriend

• Joined Apr 2011
micro/mini pigglets
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:48:09 am »
hi i have some lovely little pigglets ready now.i have all blacks and pink and black spotted.males and females (unrelated) i have been keeping and breeding these for the last 6 years as a little hobby and i have the parents and the grand parents here to see.these little ones will grow aprox 12"-14" high.im looking for £200 for them or possibly swap. south wales

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: micro/mini pigglets
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:55:46 am »
is there such a thing? i may just go to local market and get a weaner for £30 saves time on waiting for them to grow for meat ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:22:52 am »
We all know there is no such thing as a guaranteed micro/mini pig; cross bred runts is more accurate. Could be small, could be enormous at 6 months, either way it's potentially a disastrous way to sell a farm animal. No genuine livestock keeper will pay £200 for a weaner given the price of pig feed, so by definition many will end up as 'pets'  and pigs are not suitable as household pets, especially if it involves them being sold singly.  :(

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:31:44 am »
just takes longer to get to fatten up  as there grow to same size unless there the runt  as you say lach :wave: ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:35:29 am »
It's like banging your head against a wall isn't it ::) There will always be people who keep this myth going and gullible fools who believe them. Unfortunately it's the poor old pig who comes off worst :'( Halwill market this week, Kune weaners--£2 apiece!!! I wasn't there unfortunately.)

furryfriend

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 10:22:57 am »
as this section suggests (marketplace) i thought this was the place 2 advertise not 2 have a discussion.we all have an opinion but there are places 4 that! I have described as best i can what i have 4 sale! They are not runts or unhealthy in anyway! As stated the parents and grandparents are here 2b seen! They are not a large traditional farm breed nor are they TEACUP pigs (they could sit in a bucket though) but they are perfectly healthy perfectly formed small pigs that are perfect 4 people with limited space who wish 2 have the great experience of keeping pigs! So it would be much appreciated if people step of the proverbial soap box and keep this thread as a for sale and not a discussion!

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:23:40 pm »
Meeaw!!

On that note, did anyone see the photo of the piglets in the Daily Record today? Very cute!!!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »
just a question no argument intended how can you try to sell something that dont exist? is it not illeagle to falsify adverts? just a question now before anyone bites

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
just a question no argument intended how can you try to sell something that dont exist? is it not illeagle to falsify adverts? just a question now before anyone bites

you'd have to buy one as described and when it weighs in at 100kg plus im sure trading standards would be interested :-)

furryfriend

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:18:32 pm »
1st of all they do exist cause i see them everyday....they arnt figments of my imagination. There is nothing false about my ad i have been as truthfull as i can.if these miniture pigs don't exist maybe u should contact certain publishers who have written books about them and ask them is that legal.bloomer please feel free 2 report this ad 2 trading standards if it bothers u.and just 2 prove 2u that these are what i have described i am offering u 1 of these free of charge so that u can try ur best 2 rear it 2 100kg! Yes we all know  whats been going on with this new craze but belive it or not there are a few genuine people out there not trying 2 make a profit and just cover food,bedding,vets etc and keep a hobby/interest going.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:54 pm »
as per previous post, to sell (or give away) a pig singly would be cruel and breach animal welfare principles unless the new owner already has pigs so I doubt anyone on here will be taking up on the offer......

....and £200 is not the going price of a weaner whether commercial or rare breed, there are good local sellers of free range registered rare breeds who can't find buyers at £60 for weaners and that is the price that just covers their costs:  the other £140 would be what exactly.....hobby expenses?

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 07:50:21 am »
1st of all they do exist cause i see them everyday....they arnt figments of my imagination. There is nothing false about my ad i have been as truthfull as i can.if these miniture pigs don't exist maybe u should contact certain publishers who have written books about them and ask them is that legal.bloomer please feel free 2 report this ad 2 trading standards if it bothers u.and just 2 prove 2u that these are what i have described i am offering u 1 of these free of charge so that u can try ur best 2 rear it 2 100kg! Yes we all know  whats been going on with this new craze but belive it or not there are a few genuine people out there not trying 2 make a profit and just cover food,bedding,vets etc and keep a hobby/interest going.
I would dearly love to take you up on your offer furryfriend, but I'm all the way up in Scotland and unless I could talk my sister (in Nottingham) into bringing it up I don't think the logistics would work  ???
I keep Kune Kunes, the smallest 'recognised' breed in the UK and have been very outspoken and anti micro/mini/teacup pigs purely because of some of the stories I've heard about and some of the pigs I've seen first hand. BUT I know that there are 2 sides to every story and there are some genuine folks out there. I have said recently that I'd like a 'mini' just to see how they compare in size, temprament and ease of handling compared to my KK's.
Sadly, the breeders who've been getting all the publicity lately are the ones who don't really have much of a clue about animal welfare or genetics and do seem very money driven (can't mention names for risk of being taken to court  :o) Also when questioned most micro breeders become really defensive and don't actually do anything to help convince me about the reliability of the breed.
I'm not having a go here furryfriend :bouquet:but can you tell me a bit about the pedigree of your pigs please ? Where did they come from (UK bred or imported from Europe) Do you have any kind of paperwork to back up their breeding (equivalent of a 'pedigree') and would you be able to give sizes and weights of fully mature pigs (3 years old) and of piglets/weaners please ?
I would also defend your prices to the vast majority  ;) £200 for a micro is VERY reasonable (remember guys, most breeders are selling these for £500+) Although £60 for a weaner is widely accepted as the price for a 'meat' pig if I were to sell mine for that I would barely break even on costs coming from feeding (pig food & fruit & veg) hay for bedding and the vaccines, wormers and all other associated costs that go with keeping pigs.
You are right furryfriend - you posted a for sale ad - but since I think you're a fairly new forum user you've obvioulsy not seen all the older posts on here about micro's and some of the horror stories, we feel the need to comment and try to help the public decide whether keeping a pig as a housepet is actually the right choice (and sadly, it isn't :() they're not house pets, they're pigs. Smaller and cuter but still pigs and as such sould be outside with their noses in the muck as nature intended  ;)
Please come back to me with your answers, cos I really am interested and don't just want to have a go at you.
Karen x :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:16:43 am »
It's went very quiet  ??? I was really hoping for some answers  :-\

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
wer going to south wales in august. id happily pick up a free piglet and do a height /weight check over 12 mths, if u would like?  :wave:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:22:57 pm »
mini/micro/teacup pigs are not a breed, the breeders breed from the runt of the litter to keep them small. I do not agree with this, this is interfeering with nature.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS