Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How old do cockerals do there stuff?  (Read 2113 times)

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
How old do cockerals do there stuff?
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:31:52 pm »
I have a cockeral who is about 7/8 years old. Every year i have a few chicks from him when a hen or 2 go broody. This year i have a hen that has been sat on a couple batches of eggs that haven't hatched, i have tried to get her to come off them(she is on her second batch) but she won't so i am thinking of getting some fertile eggs for her. He doesn't seem to be interested in the hens in a morning, which is when he usually does his business with them. Do you think he is just too old now? I don't want to get rid of him as he has been a really good cockeral and is friendly!

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Re: How old do cockerals do there stuff?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 07:25:17 am »
He might be out of his prime  :P he should be holding the hen down to the ground and putting his tail feathers over her vent and doing the buisness and this should only take 30 sec roughly,

what kind of hens do you have I fertile eggs being laid now just hatched 9/12 eggs

hybrid marans
orpington black
orpington blue
also have maran X white orpington

all for sale

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:04:34 am »
Hi there - If he is old, it may be that his spurs have grown long, and he is hurting the hens when he dismounts.

Check the length, and you can file them down or remove them (I am sure there will be a clip on U-tube somewhere)  But if he is old his fertility will be low anyway so maybe bought in eggs will be the answer.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
when selecting youre hens make sure you have 2 cock birds. iv just done my next yeres birds and there is 2 cocks in with 12 hens i try to get better birds each yere . this time im on barred rock and leg bars and blue marrans wich are from dawn south. iv done 6 sales and the birds are not true to type not pure breeds .so im very pleased with the 1s i have .the members will be able to have eggs from these supper breeds .i will have  rhode island red hatching eggs for sale from very dark strain and good layers. Birds have won best of breed at carlisle poultry sale they will be next yeres stock

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS