Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hopeless  (Read 1617 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
hopeless
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:59 pm »
really didn't have confidence that we would have any turkeys hatch....... now we have one so far i'm beginning to panic abit and loose confidence (such responsibility!!!!!!!)
do i need to vacinate them.. if so what and when. i have some books but mainly deal with chickens and not clear
thanks
Mx ???

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: hopeless
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:41:27 pm »
If you do vaccinate it is only a squirt of vaccine under a wing, you won't have to inject them :o Keep them well supplied with crumb and water and you will find them the biggest time-wasters ever, you'll spend hours watching them!
The next hurdle will be dispatching them but that's weeks away, enjoy them 'til then.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:09:32 pm »
i know what you mean..... we have just watched one hatching ........just watching and waiting ...... brilliant to see, although i'm exhausted!!!!!!!! ;)

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 11:35:37 pm »
The problem with vaccinating is that it usually comes in packs that are meant for commercial flocks, so a pack will often do a minimum of 500 birds. We decided for the few chickens etc that we hatch it wasn't cost effective to vaccinate and so far we haven't had a problem. I think that good husbandry eg heat, food, water, not over-crowding  will go a long way to keeping the chicks/poults healthy.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:09 pm »
We dont vaccinate ours but as said I suppose it depends on the conditions they are kept in ours will go out into a purpose made pen and have plenty of space and fresh air. They are so cute, our first lot are feathering up now, they will be kept in an indoor stable till we feel they are mature enough to go out. Good luck with them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS