Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Welsummer or White Leghorn.  (Read 4951 times)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Welsummer or White Leghorn.
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:05:21 pm »
The day has finally come where my RIR cockerel has pushed his luck to far, after attacking my fiancee when she let the hens out this morning and drawing blood on top of recent attacks on my Father and 2 year old daughter tomorrow he will either be rehomed or dispatched.
It will be a sad day as i've had him since he was 12 weeks old and he is now around 14 months, during this time I've seen him grow and start to learn to crown and of course become more active with his ladies. As he has 1 dodgy leg I have not bred him even though he is a lovely looking thick set bird, nicknamed "Big boy" by by daughter.
As he will be going I am now looking for either a Welsummer or white leghorn cockerel to replace him, does anyone have either of these breeds available in the Glamorgan area of South Wales, could also be Monmouth, Powys or Carmarthen.
As cockerels generally seem to be having a hard time finding homes I would not really looking to pay much for them especially if I need to travel to collect.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Welsummer or White Leghorn.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:37:09 am »

Sorry to hear that Andrew,  We're in the same position with our Welsummer Cockerel, who has become increasingly aggressive of late (sorry Helencus!). A real shame like you say, but I can't see him changing his ways. I just hope I can replace him with something similar, but with less of an attitude problem!!

Anyhow, good luck with your search!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

AengusOg

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:36:49 am »
All these cocks need is a damned good fright by everyone who has dealings with them. They will settle down after the summer anyway but, in the meantime they have to be firmly persuaded that they are in danger of a hiding if they attack anyone.

The best way is to enter the pen with a broom or brush, or a short-handled plastic shovel, or some other object. Even a stout cardboard box will do. When the cock comes at you, you must set about him with the object and keep at him till he breaks off from his attacks, drops his tail, and retreats. Then give him another dunt, making him scoot away from you, just to get the point across.

He will still serve his hens, leave fertile eggs, crow, eat drink and look good, but he will not take you on after that. Everyone who has anything to do in the hen run must treat him the same. Children can accomplish this too if aided by an adult. The object of the exercise is to persuade the cock that he has been beaten by an adversary. A cock with his tail up is onthe make; if he drops his tail he is beat.

I went to see a cock at a friend's place recently. He was raking everyone, kids included, and had drawn blood. I grabbed a cardboard box and severely buffeted him with it. He struck it about half a dozen times, but I kept at him, belting him as he came forward, and bringing it down upon him as I got the chance. He broke off and was beat. The owner still didn't want to keep him, so I took him home for some cross hens of mine. He keeps way from me now.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 03:36:26 pm »
AengusOg that sounds a lot more practical than Victoria Roberts' advice to 'pick him up and cuddle him - it will confuse him and he will scuttle away'!

Thankfully I have never (so far - touch wood) had a real problem with a cockerel but I think I prefer the idea of a cardboard shield-cum-buffetting box to trying to catch the aggressive creature and hold him close!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bioman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:30:22 pm »
Fight him back! Injuring his pride is the way to go dustbin lid and some stout boots/ wellies. Lift him with your foot (like kicking but instead get your foot underneath), and mimick any aggressive moves from him.

Keep going until he runs away.

Cockerels are all bark no bite (No pun intended.) Beat him once he will be unlikely to do it again.

Throwing a bucket of water over him works aswell apparently

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:44 am »
Sounds like you dont want to get rid of him he sounds lovely but has an attitude

my white orpington cockerel was the same but i read up about it a chased him in to a corner and grabbed him and sat over him with his head firmly held to the gound and since then he has been fine no problems what so ever!!!!

that method also worked on my goose who was protecting allhis lady duck friends but he is sorted now too!!

give it a try before you get rid!

once you have done it get your mrs to do it too and anyone else that there is a problem with (he just needs knocked off his perch) lol

hope this helps

::) :cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »
Thanks all for your comments, I managed to rehome him yesterday.

It had got to the stage where I couldn't trust him with anyone if I wasn't around, and as my 3 year old daughter loves to spend time with the birds I couldn't take any chances with him. He now lives with other hens and cockerels and has more room to do whatever he wants.

He had also started to bully some of the hens (probably due to the time of year).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:24 am »
Sorry, same situation here too. Ours has been restrained and held to the ground and 'pecked' (as recommended on another thread) many times, and always runs off whimpering afterwards, but a day later and he's at it again. He also seems to have a go at all new people he sees, which was just never going to be acceptable with kids etc coming and going, and it got to the point where Mrs Womble didn't dare go outside without carrying a broom with her!

Anyhow, 'twas one time too many this weekend, and he has had to go (although not to waste)  :'(. So, I'm very sorry Helencus for having to do in your old boy, but he certainly enjoyed his short time here  ;), and managed to father a few hens for us too  ;D.

Anyhow, If anybody in Central Scotland has a spare  :chook: going begging (boys with an attitude problem need not apply), do please drop me a PM!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:20:25 pm »
I think its the time of year for aggressive cockerels.  I have a lot, both large breeds and bantams, and none have ever bothered me (so far!) but twice recently, one of the Pekin boys, not sure if its Les or Mike, has jumped at my OH when he walked down the field.  Lets just say he was not best pleased, and if he does it again, he may get a shock!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS