Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELPPPP!!!!!!!!!Broody duck sat in the middle of the enclosure should i move her  (Read 3267 times)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
my runner has been sitting on her eggs for 2 weeks now and she is getting bothered by all the others especially buzz our pure white call duck (little s**t)lol

should i move her in to one of my breeding pens in the garage where i usually put my broody hens???

hepl please

:cat: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
If youare going to move her i would do it at dusk which( in theory) will make it less likely that she'll abandon the nest,but if she's sat this long whilst being disturbed by the others she should carry on sitting( hopefully) where ever she is.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
I'd be worried that she will stop sitting if you try to move her, so I'd leave her where she is. Can you put anything round her to give her a bit more protection?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
I would give her a bit of cover - I use the bottom half of a cat box but that's for a call duck - but if you had a big cat box that may be a good size. I've tried to move in the past with little success, I've moved the whole nest and duck into a safe box only to find the whole lot trashed in the morning.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
I never let mine do their broody business outdoors-not safe- and mine are imposible to move. Any attempt of offering cover ended in an abandoned nest....let us know how you get on  :&>

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
seems like she has been on them for ages she is due about now but nothing i have checked them and candled them and they are all growing but nothing yet!!!!!

:cat: :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :&> :&> :&> :farmer: :farmer:
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
they do take a about a week longer than hens' and nature's way is not as obvious in when the incubating period actually starts as in an incubator - good luck and pictures, please!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS