Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Guinea fowl.... Bully HELP  (Read 1956 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Guinea fowl.... Bully HELP
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:13:47 pm »
Hi all, we need some advice please since it is all starting to stress my OH out!!

We have 4 Young guinea fowl, we were told 1 male and 3 girls. Well ever since they came the male has been picking on one of the girls. Either stopping from her getting to the food, stopping her talking to the others....

We now think that the male is actually picking on another male since the 'she' looks very similar to the male. Question is what can we do, we have a separate isolation area and thought aboutputting the male in there but I am worried how stressed he will get trying to get out!!

They are totally free range and thus the bullied onecspends alot of time on his / her own.

Anyway hope the story makes sense and ADVICE please????

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Guinea fowl.... Bully HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58:10 pm »
I find sexing guinea fowl isn't easy but I suspect you are right that the picked on guinea fowl is another male. I think you will need to isolate him - if you are worried about him being on his own then perhaps the boys need a girl each.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Guinea fowl.... Bully HELP
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:53:52 am »
The "helmet" on the cock birds are a little bit bigger than the hens also their cries are distinctive. The male says "Go back go back" while the hens say "Back, back , back"
Guinea Fowl are dreadful bullies anyway (they taste nice though ;D)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS