Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Light or Electric Hen  (Read 5775 times)

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
Electric Light or Electric Hen
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:17:47 pm »
Hi Folks
Those of you who are members of The Central Scotland Smallholders Association (check it out www.smallholders.info , we are a friendly crowd, new members will be made welcome) will probably know some of us are about to take the plunge and get some day olds to raise. Well this is another first for me so have been reading about the equipment that will be required. I have been wondering about what heat source to invest in. Hopefully getting 20 chicks with a view to more later. Anyone got a preference, electric lamp or electric hen, is light required all the time? red/white bulb? your opinions and tips would be most welcome.
Thanks Jo

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Electric Light or Electric Hen
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:33:20 pm »
Hello Rainy.
A 250 watt heat lamp is going to cost you about £25 to brood 24/7 for 6 weeks, if you keep them under a lamp till then.
You would benefit from running more than 20 chicks under it to bring the costs down,(which works out just over £1 each till off heat).
This would depend on where you keep them and how well insulated the chick room is.
Using a red heat emitter gives the chicks 24 hour light to feed..they will sleep ok with it on...A dull emitter will give heat but no light so they are subject to daylight feeding..So short daylight hours restrict the amount of feeding they can do...I use these if the daylight is at least 12-14 hours, even then I keep my eye on them.

I have never used an electric hen but have in the past used haybox brooders...
Have a look at my web page there are a few notes on the blog about breeding.www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:50 am »
Thanks, Have checked out the site. Just waiting on the chicks now.
Jo

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:23 pm »
We use a lamp and it's worked fine. I don't have it on 24/7 for 6 weeks though. Depends on the weather - once they start to get decent feathers, the lamp goes off during the day and on at night.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:24:05 am »
 :-[

Sorry to show my ignorance but what are olds?

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 12:55:25 pm »
Hilarysmum,

Rainyplace, Carol, Rosemary and myself all clubbed together and bought 50 day old Hubbard meat birds to raise for the table. Think there was a typo and post should have read day old chick though a definition for olds could easily be me first thing in the morning

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »
And they all seem to be doing fine!

Actually, "the olds" is a term of endearment that Dan and I use for his parents.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS