Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: canteloupe melons  (Read 2848 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
canteloupe melons
« on: May 13, 2011, 11:51:47 am »
Hi Everyone.  I picked up some canteloupe melon seeds at a seed exchange and now have seven seedlings in my propagator, at the two true leaf stage.  I have grown melons once before and although lots set fruit none ripened.  So what should I do from now on?  It's too early to put them into the greenhouse up here so I will keep them in the propagator until early June but then what?  Should I have sown them earlier to give them time to grow fruit?  Is it worth persevering?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: canteloupe melons
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »
Haven't tried growing them myself but found this http://www.howtogardenadvice.com/plant_list/fruit/grow_cantaloupe.html let us know how it goes
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »
Always worth persevering!  i have only grown them once, and I just let them do their own thing.  i understand that pollination can sometimes be a problem, but if they have set, that shouldn't be a problem.  i found that they just run riot in my greenhouse and I didn't select fruit to continue with and cut off all the others, which is the correct thing to do, but I can't bear it!  Am growing them again this year, but am trying an outdoor variety (still in greenhose at the moment). Will grow a couple inside just to test them out, but will be limiting fruit set.  The ones i grew before were absolutely fantastically gorgeous!  can't express how much nicer they are than shop bought!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
Thank you both - very helpful  :)  So I will dig a pit and fill with lovely sheep manure then plant melons on that, in the tunnel.  Last time I helped the set a bit with a paintbrush, so will do that and limit the fruit (if I get any  :D) once it's getting on a bit in the year.  With my new tunnel cover on it seems to be warmer than the old one, so perhaps I will have more success.  It sounds as if the clue is in the manure, as before I had them in large pots. Also plenty of water it seems.
I wonder if they cross pollinate with other cucurbits as I will have cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and courgettes in there as well .

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 05:56:51 pm »
Very interesting thread as when I managed to leave my seed tin out in the storm last week ::) i discovered alot of damp seeds and among them some melon seeds I'd just saved from a shop bought melon to see if I could dry them and get them to grow, never expecting anything ;)  So I have found dozens of seeds, several of which have started growing in the paper wrapper :o

I just tipped them into an empty seed tray after taking cabbages out, and popped it in the plastic tent (fake g/house) until I could think what else to do ;)  I'd be surprised if I got an actual melon, I can barely get tomatoes to mature some years ::) but it's something new to watch and you never know..  ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:58:20 pm »
Hi Ellied - it will be interesting to see what you get from them  ;D  Mine are still luxuriating in their heated propagator waiting for June before I even take them up to the greenhouse-inside-the-polytunnel (very low temps forecast for last night of May).  The tallest is about a foot long but no flowers on yet.  I think I am probably too kind to my plants and you are more likely to get results with your unexpected ones than I am with my mollycoddled ones  ::) ;D ;D  It will all depend on what kind of summer we get, but it's great to try something new.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS