Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Trimming the grapes  (Read 1890 times)

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
Trimming the grapes
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:42 pm »
Well there are two vines in the polytunnel we inhereted. Didn't do too well last year, I left too many bunches I think, well that and the hornets finding them. There's nothing like the sound of a hornet to make me want to get out of there.This year I am removing all but one bunch per branch and will see what that does, and putting insect netting on the doors when the strawberries are finished, they have just started and are delicious.
Does anyone have experience of grape thinning, I belive I should thin the actual grapes but with my eyesight it seems like a recipe for disaster.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Trimming the grapes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:32 pm »
I'd be interested in replies to this too as my daughter and son in law have just bought a house with a large greenhouse and a vine that has sprouted suddenly.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Dundonald hens

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: Trimming the grapes
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
Iv got one to and watched the beachgrove garden the other night and the were trimming theres and what they done was after where the grapes had started to form they left a wee bit of the steam to the next leaf and nipped it of to allow the fruit to grow I am sure yu can get it on BBC i player

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS