Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Animated images in signatures  (Read 12517 times)

robert waddell

Re: Animated images in signatures
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:53:08 am »
there is one site i visit it has a black background with yellow writing   and after reading the posts my eyes can only be described as looking at a venetian blind yet these moving images do not impare my vision 
obviously television and cinema must have the same effect?
i will just away to to the nursing home next door and get fitted with adult pampers and have my tea with bromide :farmer:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 09:04:45 am »
there is one site i visit it has a black background with yellow writing   and after reading the posts my eyes can only be described as looking at a venetian blind yet these moving images do not impare my vision

Yellow foreground text on a black background will be very comfortable for people with certain visual impairments, but as you've said can be very uncomfortable for others (like you and I). The opposite is also true, so while you have no problem with moving images many people do.

obviously television and cinema must have the same effect?

Yes, although it's not as simple as all moving images causing a problem. The refresh rate of a screen, the underlying technology, brightness, contrast, etc will all be a factor. The guiding principle (on the web at least) is to reduce moving images to an absolute minimum, and not start things like video until the user chooses to.

i will just away to to the nursing home next door and get fitted with adult pampers and have my tea with bromide :farmer:

Age is a factor for some impairments like macular degeneration, but many people are born with visual impairments, or develop them very early in life.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 02:02:33 pm »
Well I do get migraine sometimes but had not had a problem with the busy logos on this site.  (I had to stop playing Tetris on facebook though!)

Maybe an idea for any future such forum site would be to allow readers to switch off animations, so that those who like to post them can do so but those who prefer not to see them can switch them off?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 11:27:27 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 07:33:32 pm »
hello Dan you must be a bit of a spey wifey  how did you know i have macular degeneration any way just learned today there is something the viewer can do to block these funnies if they are causing problems you being the techie one could explain it a bit better than a Luddite like me  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS