Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Oats for Poultry feed  (Read 2704 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Growing Oats for Poultry feed
« on: May 08, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »
I could probably grow Oats due to my northerly location but are they a viable feed for the chickens?

As usual your input is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:22:06 pm by Floyd »

princesspiggy

Re: Growing Oats for Poultry feed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »
they are supposed to be good for turkeys so dont see why not.  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:41:01 pm »
I worked on a mixed organic farm in Wales.  They grew oats and all the stock ate oats.  Milled for the cattle, whole for the chickens.  Can't remember how the pigs got theirs.  The choox ate the grain (is that the right term for oats?) and left the husk, you could put the husks on the compost heap I guess. 

They said that the oats were a good feedstuff for the chickens but a little low in protein. So they also fed the chickens the skimmed milk from the house cow.  The whole milk required for the house was taken first, then the cream was collected to make butter, the remaining skimmed milk was fed to the chickens.

The choox were also given a sprinkling of layers pellets in the morning, but not very many.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:36 am »
thats good news.  Time to get the rotavator out!

Many thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:39:32 pm »
Hmm might have a go at that next year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS