Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disappearing Eggs  (Read 3053 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Disappearing Eggs
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »
On Monday morning I had 36 eggs ready to box up to take to work on Tuesday morning. I keep them in a box in the barn building where the stables are as it is nice and cool. We had a day out and in the evening I went to bring in the eggs and all were gone. Now my OH thinks its been a person but I think it may have been a rat or maybe a weasel. He has put back on the camera to see if we catch anything but so far nothing has appeared. I would have thought an animal would return to have another go, any idea anyone  ???

gapcap

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Disappearing Eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »
Could be a person,but if the crows round your way are anything like the b******'s here could be them >:(!We have a race everyday to get to the eggs before the crows,still find loads of egg shells in the surrounding fields tho,They dont get into the chicken house as I have a gander who is babysitting his little one and he only allows the hens access no crow would dare to venture near, but for those that lay in the hay bales or wherever they sit and wait for the hen to announce the arrival and they're in there!!.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »
I bet its birds, not sure humans would be ready to carry that amount of eggs unless they knew they were left there and they had some way of carrying them!! It would be great to catch on camera, birds comming in and out taking eggs away for thier breakfast!!!! funny but it would make me angry too. I used to watch squirrels take the tomatoes out of a neighbours green house, seeing them run up the tree with on in thier mouths was funny.
Hope you catch the culprit! check around high spots for egg shells!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57:02 pm »
Sabrina - you have jinxed me! ::) ;) ;) ;)

I put 6 eggs in a clear plastic egg box and left it on top of the duck shed while I went to feed the dogs - that takes me about 10 minutes - when I came back the box was in bits, and only half an eggshell left to prove there had been any there!  Bliddy magpies I reckon!  Sandy is right about the egg shells being up high.  When I had my eaves and soffits painted my painter told me he had found about 30 empty eggshells in teh gutters!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:05:06 pm »
Caught on CCTV a crow right enough is the thief, all we have to do now is trap the sod.  :o

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 07:20:23 am »
Interesting it was crows, great detective work Sabrina!  Some of our guinea fowl eggs have been stolen, she lays underneath the oil tank.  I assumed it was a weasel as I see them a lot around here but we get lots of crows too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 07:52:31 am »
So does the crow pick them up in its feet and fly off with them?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 09:52:04 am »
Yes, exactly. Probably to somewhere other crows can't get at them.  Magpies do too - onto my roof and leave the shells up there.  ::) ::) But rats and weasels do the same.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:08:50 pm »
Yes, exactly. Probably to somewhere other crows can't get at them.  Magpies do too - onto my roof and leave the shells up there.  ::) ::) But rats and weasels do the same.

???  Rats and weasels pick them up in their feet and fly off with them?   ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS