Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st attempt at shearing omg !!  (Read 17373 times)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: 1st attempt at shearing omg !!
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2011, 09:29:46 pm »
At the moment I'm travelling in my dad's big white van. I do have a corsa van myself but at the moment it's at the garage waiting for repairs, it's been there a few weeks now.

I can sharpen in the evenings on days when I've only done small or local jobs.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 10:12:22 pm »
Well I sheared my last ewe yesterday and have to say the Jakoti hand shears are absolutely brilliant and I managed to do the easier risen fleeces in 25 minutes.  Huge word of warning as Philip said elsewhere, these are self-sharpening and VERY VERY sharp so great care needed as even easier to nick the skin than with the electric ones.  Well worth the £20 although I have blisters now after doing 4 within 24 hours!

I had a couple of sticky ones and they still took me 45 mins to 1 hour as had to go very slow to get an average finish.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:43 pm »
I am chearing to the fact that someone else takes 40 mins to shear, but they are hand shears and that takes alot longer than electric !! ;) ;) I have another 3 small shetlands to practice on and a polled dorset, so hoping that the new combs arrive soon.

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 11:38:30 pm »
And remember that blinking artery they have on the belly up from the manhood and the tube from manhood to testes.

Err, would that be 'tuphood'?  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;) ;) ;)
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS