Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: front leg problems  (Read 4466 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
front leg problems
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:33:39 pm »
hi there one off our pet lambs had really bad front legs the farmer assured us they would get better ,one leg has the other one is getting worse ,the lamb still gets about but is now walking on the front of his leg should i strap it up and if yes what with cheers

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Re: front leg problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:47:38 pm »
aww sounds like you need to pop him to the vets, he will be in pain, so best get him checked out
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Kola70

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:46:23 pm »
I had this happen to two of my lambs this year. The first I splinted both front legs and gave it physio each day several times a day. After ten days there was not change and sadly the vet had to put him down.

The second was not so bad and I got it onto grass as soon as I could. I splinted both legs for two days and then let it fend for it self without splints whilst stretching the muscles out when i could. I thought that it was not going to improve but it bounced back and this evening, three weeks later,  it is running around with the rest of the gang with no issues at all.

In short if it does not improve in the first few days I think it will be fairly terminal.

Good luck.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
had to get the boy put down was advised by the vet he would only to get worse

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:36:58 pm »
Sorry to hear that agri293.  I hope your other lambs are doing ok and you are enjoying them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kola70

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:50 pm »
Sorry to read that the lamb did not make it.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:15:46 pm »
Thats always such a horrable thing to have to do, but necessary !! just hope things improve for you and you get some better news soon
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS