Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 1st attempt at shearing omg !!  (Read 17352 times)

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
Re: 1st attempt at shearing omg !!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 04:05:05 pm »
Hi Andy,

Yes if you (or your shearer) are happy to shear them then get them done, I have never left sheep unshorn just because they have been treated.

Also you are doing ok anyway so I wouldn't wast my money on a wool board course, if you need any advice then I am always happy to help.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep:

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 04:11:18 pm »
your a perfect gentleman, will you skirt into kent before you head west? if so it might be good to come and watch you even tho ive been watching your videos !!

Ive ordered 5 more combs the general farm ones i think they called them they have wider combs, see how i get one, this evening I am going to try my southdown tup as his wool is actually falling off so should be easier, and ill work out how to change the cutter,also i have to remember his man hood is there and not snip it off!!!

Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 04:13:35 pm »
And remember that blinking artery they have on the belly up from the manhood and the tube from manhood to testes.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 06:11:32 pm »
Nothing planned in Kent but you could always ask Dixie if she minds you coming up to watch when I shear hers in Essex on Monday. Although that might be a bit far for you.

Good luck with the Southdown.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 06:47:07 pm »
I'm seriously impressed. I"m also new to this with my little flock of 10 yearling Hebrideans. Just wanted to ask if it is usual for them to moult? Ours look dreadful at the moment, what's coming through under the wool which is being lost looks fantastic albeit a bit like a labradoodle. I'm a bit upset at all the wool which is being shed round the paddock. Should I have them sheared? (shorn?)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »
Thanks for the tip with the British wool marketing board.

Loads of courses round our way.

Hoping to go no one next month.
 :D :D

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 08:07:30 pm »
Hi Dizzycow,

Yes you could shear them or if you are very lucky they might shed it all and not need shearing, other than that if they are tame then you could try rooing them.

Suziequeue,

You are lucky, whenever I tried to get on one for the past two years they have all either been fully booked, cancelled or too far away.  I've managed to book myself in on one this year but it's at an inconvenient time in the season as I'm so busy. Hopefully it will do me some good and speed up my shearing so I can get more jobs done.

Thanks,

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »
Rooing? Philip, you seem to be a very busy chap. Any time you're near Dunfermline let me know. Vikki 07988875809. Thanks for the advice - shearing will be required....!

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2011, 10:14:30 pm »
I cant make Monday Philip unfortunatly, I would have come if I could, I have a client to see, I sheared the southdown tup tonight, it was his first time too which I dont think helps either, he gave up struggling in the end tho, I had to leave some of his head, Id had enough after 40mins, I hope you all having a laugh...especially phil, when he can shear one in a minute, I changed the cutter but I think the comb was blunt too, it wasnt easy going..so I will do another when I get my new combs in the post. have a look at the photo....have a giggle on me !!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2011, 10:55:59 pm »
We roo our ones for the show. Shetlands do not NEED shearing you can pluck them free! I dont know about other breeds but Shetlands shed their fleece naturally and when it rises you just pluck it off. It leave what they call 'yellow' a lamb like fleece underneath which grows in perfect length for shows in late summer.Many a rooing video on google.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 07:30:46 am »
I'm struggling to catch the Hebrideans! I'd like to pull their wool off, quite satisfying.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:35 am »
Hi Andy,

You see 40mins not an hour I told you it would get easier ;D. Don't worry about Monday as it looks like it is going to be a busy day so wouldn't have much time for talking anyway.

Hermit,

Some Shetlands I go to don't shed that much so rooing wouldn't work and they need shearing.

Thanks,

goodlifer

• Joined May 2011
  • todmorden, lancs
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2011, 08:49:16 am »
hi dizzycow i am exactly the same with my hebs they just giggle and put a spurt of speed on and are off ! I too have clumps of wool everywhere shearing needed asap just waiting for the farmer next door to get his done and we are tagging along with ours.
lets hope it is soon !

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2011, 09:31:10 am »
I have a friend who is interested in learning how to spin the wool, but it's a real mess. The wool on the sheep as well as on the ground. Seems awful to waste it though. What will you do with yours, Goodlifer?

goodlifer

• Joined May 2011
  • todmorden, lancs
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 10:41:56 am »
heh dizzycow we dont want to waste it either we have a contact in the village who may use it if it comes off looking all right !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS