Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaner for xmas  (Read 8384 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Weaner for xmas
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 08:53:31 pm »
My Kune crosses are crossed with GOS and if i am honest i have to idea how big they are going to get.  I've got 1 bigger sow who is going to slaughter at the end of the month and as i am new to this i have no idea what quantity of meat i will bring home from her.  I might find that when the ones that i have are fully grown i might jst stay with what i have.  Will have a looksie on Friday at what breeds are there x

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 09:11:22 pm »
My favorite weaners to buy are Middlewhite, next Berkshire.  Berkshire are the nicest to keep but Middlewhites are the best meat (IMO)  I did have a couple of White Welsh x and they were very good, and I keep meaning to try the White Welsh again

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
My Kune crosses are crossed with GOS and if i am honest i have to idea how big they are going to get.  I've got 1 bigger sow who is going to slaughter at the end of the month and as i am new to this i have no idea what quantity of meat i will bring home from her.  I might find that when the ones that i have are fully grown i might jst stay with what i have.  Will have a looksie on Friday at what breeds are there x

Just be careful not to overfeed (not easily done when the little darlings are so cute  ;)) they run to  get fat so easily.  I call mine for their feed - the fittest/slimmest ones get there first, so get more food - my reckoning is if they can't run, then they're too fat, so can do without  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 11:18:10 pm »

Just be careful not to overfeed (not easily done when the little darlings are so cute  ;)) they run to  get fat so easily.  I call mine for their feed - the fittest/slimmest ones get there first, so get more food - my reckoning is if they can't run, then they're too fat, so can do without  ;)

Only my penned in males get fed hard feed and hay daily now.  The females that are out in the field get a handfull of nuts just to get them out of the way while we feed the boys.  3 of the Kune boars are being castrated at the end of the month, the 3 young boars will be going to slaughter also at the end of the month and the 2 wearner boars that i have will be boarding with the castrated ones until they are big enough to justify slaughter.  I got a BIG female (last week) who is on a strict diet as she is very overweight and rather spoiled.  Won't feed the girls much for a good few months or until they turn the land.  The biggest boar that we're keeping (well all of them) are a touch overweight and can do with shedding some fat.  The young slaughter boars need to put on some weight ready for slaughter.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:51:14 pm »
I call mine for their feed - the fittest/slimmest ones get there first, so get more food - my reckoning is if they can't run, then they're too fat, so can do without  ;)

I love that!  Reminded me of an old friend who had a cat called Square because he was as wide as long.  He was fed on top of the fridge; when he couldn't jump up there any more he was unable to eat so lost weight until he could jump up again.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 07:41:18 am »
I call mine for their feed - the fittest/slimmest ones get there first, so get more food - my reckoning is if they can't run, then they're too fat, so can do without  ;)

I love that!  Reminded me of an old friend who had a cat called Square because he was as wide as long.  He was fed on top of the fridge; when he couldn't jump up there any more he was unable to eat so lost weight until he could jump up again.

;D ;D ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:49 am »
Wonder if that would work for Digby ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 08:41:41 am »
Wonder if that would work for Digby ?

;D ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS