Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaner for xmas  (Read 8385 times)

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
Weaner for xmas
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:58 pm »
Hi guys and gals.  I've got some Kunes and some Kune crosses that are turning the field for me (and a few will be going to slaughter) as and when i need the meat.  What i wanted to know was.....I am looking into getting a weaner either this month or next month to rear for xmas.  Any opinions of what breed is best?  Wanted to get a weaner as it'll grow up with the ones i already have and plus it'll have a healthy respect for the fencing (not jump on it) as it's stock mesh and elec wire. 

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Weaner for xmas
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »
Just go for the breed closest to you, if there is a choice, go for lop eared type rather than erect ears.

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 04:25:14 pm »
Just go for the breed closest to you, if there is a choice, go for lop eared type rather than erect ears.

We've decided to go to mart this week and have a look as we can't buy this time round as we want to take stock to slaughter this month.  See whats there and rough prices.  What kind of breeds are a bit bigger than mine?  Do GOS get very big?  We ideally dnt want a mammoth of a pig but something that i can slaughter and maybe give out some of the meat for my family on xmas day  :-*

Is there any reason for the ear thing?

NB jst read that i can take pigs to slaughter irrespective of the 20 day standstill as long as they don't come back to the land....... is this right?  I live in Carmarthenshire
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:42:32 pm by welshlass181 »

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:30:57 pm »
you are shut down for pigs going to other farms not for going to slaughter :wave:
the lop eared pigs cant see (until there ears go back and then they take off) :pig: :wave: :pig:

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:37:02 pm »
something that i can slaughter

You're going to do that yourself?

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:09 pm »
Not going to do them myself for a few reasons. 
1) Not got the facilities to do it. 
2) Don't have a rifle licence, rifle or captive bolt gun. 
3) Would break my heart. 
4) I've no valid reason to do so when i can take them to a slaughter house. 
5) I'd like to be able to supply some meat (as xmas gifts) to my family for the table.
6) I don't have any exp in slaughtering a large animal (rabbits, chickens that kind of stuff yes)
7) No butchery skills and it kinda makes me squeemish to think about gutting a pig as they are so human like with no hair ....... yes i know i'm strange

Over the moon about the slaughter/standstill thingy :) defo going to mart this week now to have a nosy.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 06:28:56 pm »
on the hair thingy they are dehaired at the slaughter house      but if you were doing it yourself you would skin it     but that is not happening :wave: :wave:

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 07:13:42 pm »
Just a reply on the size of GOS, in my opinion, yes they get big!

But that could just be my opinion because i've always kept smaller breeds. Noticed today how big they had got, as they usually run straight through my legs as i'm pouring their food into the trough, havent done it for a while so thought i'd see if i could still stand over them, and there was no chance!! One foot on the ground, the other horizontal the other way! Very big pigs they have become!!  :D

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »
Hmmmm so is there a breed that is good for the table, smaller than a GOS and bigger then a Kune?  Does a breed exsist?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »
If you like Kunes, then you could try the Oxford Sandy & Black.  Berkshires are fairly small too.

Quick question - why are you not keeping to Kunes/Kune x? - just being nosey  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:15 pm »
If you like Kunes, then you could try the Oxford Sandy & Black.  Berkshires are fairly small too.

Quick question - why are you not keeping to Kunes/Kune x? - just being nosey  ;)

Thats an easy one :) I wanted a bigger breed to bring on and slaughter xmas time.  I will be keeping with the Kunes for general use and slaughter but wanted the bigger one to share out over the holidays.  I did look at the OSB's so going to have a look on Friday  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
Ah, just thought you might be deserting the Kune Kune kinship for a mo  ;) ;D

Apparently a KK crossed with Bershire's supposed to produce a good weaner for meat (KK boar on Berky sow - though it may work the other way round).  Also, I've been told a KK boar on a Pietrain sow gives a good ham (never the other way round as KK sow would be too small for the Pt boar).
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
but that is the pietrain  caracteristic   hams to die for (like a belgian blue) :wave:

Bioman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 08:49:07 pm »
Oxford Sandy and Black is the way to go. Absolutely fabulous pigs, meat to die for and slaughter at 24 weeks old. Wonderful. (I'm not a breeder in case you thought I had bias  :P )

Pietrain blood is in most commercial pigs- lacks flavour as their is no fat! So OSBs!

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 08:53:18 pm »
bioman what weight at 24wks :wave:
pietrain blood in most commercial pigs     your having a laugh are you not :o :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS