Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making flour  (Read 16405 times)

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
Making flour
« on: January 09, 2008, 02:03:12 pm »
I am keen to grow crops for flour making (small scale)- anyone have any experience here? I've successfully made maize flour (yummy corn bread) but it is really hard to remove the kernels from the cobs - do they need to dry out more maybe? Please help!
Liz

rustyme

Re: Making flour
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:39:43 pm »
hello Liz,

the link above describes one way of removing corn from the cob. I think they used to dry it well before use to.  Somewhere on the web is a discription of how to make a little oojamaflip thingummybob that removes them from the cob , I will try to find it but don't hold your breath. I do remember reading about 'The Old Days' somewhere, and the person said when asked what they remembered most about the old days, they said "sore thumbs form removing corn " . So it would seem to be an age old problem  :D. I can't offer any advice first hand ,as I haven't done it . I have grown small amounts of wheat though , that is pretty much just like growing grass. Sow it and let it be....it does all the work ...till harvest time . Then it is your turn , small amounts are very easy to harvest by hand ,upto say 1/2 an acre . Any bigger than that and you need to be very determined and FIT.  You should be able to get somewere between about 1/2lb-1lb per square yard of wheat  .

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:30:17 pm by Dan »

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:32:52 pm »
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/sheller/shellpic.htm

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/corn-sheller-zmaz83jfzraw

there are plenty of other sites with roughly the same type of ideas . The plank and nail jobby seems like a nice cheap easy one to go with .

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:21:47 pm by Dan »

Lizt

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:13:26 am »
Many thanks - very helpful! Thankyou
liz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS