Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on quad bike please  (Read 11953 times)

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
advice on quad bike please
« on: April 24, 2011, 01:02:31 am »
I would be grateful for any advice/recommendations on buying a second hand quad bike.
In the long term I need it for general towing of trailer loads e.g. hay/straw bales, feed bags mucking out, hedge trimmings  etc around a relatively flat 8acre smallholding and occasional use of tyne harrow or similar for dispersing mole hills and grassland treatment in spring. In the sort term we are building an extention to the property and need to shift building materials and rubble etc. I doubt if it needs 4x drive nor does it need to be top of the range powerfl but I dont want it to be underpowered. Any suggestions appreciated.

robert waddell

Re: advice on quad bike please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 09:26:03 am »
sounds like you need a dumper more than a quad bike and less chance of it being purloined :o
you could also opt for an old disco/land rover after all that was there initial intended use when the rover car co coppied the willis jeep :wave: :wave: :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:03 am »
What they said  ;) ;D ;D ;D We've got both and the jeep is sooooo handy for chucking stuff in and so much easier to securely lock up. It doesn't need to be road legal if it's only being used in the fields, as long as it goes (but never on a road)
But if you've got your heart set on a quad invest the extra little bit of cash and get a 4x4, it's fine saying you've got reasonably flat ground, but when it's really wet, snowy or icy it's going to toil a bit if it's only 2 WD. Hubby reckons a minimum of 350cc in terms of power (but he's a biker, bit of a petrol head and a major speed freak  ;D)
HTH
Karen

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »
If you really want aquad then for reliability/ availability a HONDA fourtrak ,if you have 4 wd and dont need it no prob but if you dont have it and you stuggle then youll which you had it, Hondas are easy to buy 2nd hand and parts easy to source.

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:32 pm »
I would opt for a compact tractor and hydraulic link box, plus a two ton trailer. You get the advantage of the pto for implements as well. A Japanese grey import would suit the bill. Another options a mule, a JD or Kawasaki, they usually have a tipper fitted.
Quads are great on the hill but are thief magnets, fuel hungry and noisy, being an old fart I think they are dangerous as well!
The advantage of the tractor is front loaders can be fitted as well for really heavy work.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 07:26:51 pm »
If you really want aquad then for reliability/ availability a HONDA fourtrak ,if you have 4 wd and dont need it no prob but if you dont have it and you stuggle then youll which you had it, Hondas are easy to buy 2nd hand and parts easy to source.

Ditto - I would whole heartedly agree with this.   I have a Honda 4X4 I bought secondhand two years ago and I've used it every single day since.   Its the most used piece of kit on the farm; towes a trailer, a muck barrow, and it meant I could keep the sheep fed 1/2 mile up the lane whenever we have snow, cos I can put a bale of hay on the front and a bale of hay on the back and trundle off up the lane.   I wouldn't be without it.  Its affectionately known as "Quadley"  ;D :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bluebell

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 07:19:03 pm »
Just following the thread - does anyone have experience of a compact 4WD tractor ?  Just thinking of getting one but don't know anyone who has had one.
thanks
Bluebell :)

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »
Just following the thread - does anyone have experience of a compact 4WD tractor ?  Just thinking of getting one but don't know anyone who has had one.
thanks
Bluebell :)

When we moved here, we tested out several different Compact type tractors.....and in the end went for a 40hp TYM which has been brilliant.  Its small enough to not drink too much diesel, it fits in the shed without taking up too much room, it can lift our big round haylage bales, it pulls a fair size muck spreader, it does all the harrowing and rolling etc and its perfect for a smallholding.   Well, that's our opinion anyway  ;D  The ONLY downside according to hubby, is that it doesn't have a cab and so the seat gets wet......... shame  ::)    HTH :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:34:59 pm »
Bluebell, I bought a Yanmar 4wd last year. Only 20 hp but I can honestly say its the nicest small tractor I have ever owned. Its towed cars in the snow and pulled a 2 ton trailer for miles. I dont use the 4wd often but its brilliant. Word of caution though, the Japanese rice paddy tyres are awful on paved surfaces, the cleats are enormous. I replaced them with a normal ag pattern and its a good ride on tarmac. I had a  2wd Chinese thing and gave up on it, frankly they are crude. The newer Japanese offerings have flat floors with side mounted controls so no scrambling over the gear sticks. I really would recommend you decide what your main uses are first though, most jobs only need 2wd, apart from front loader work and hilly land 4wd can be omitted.  :farmer:

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »
Blinkers, just tell him cabs are for wusses, it works every time........

waterhouse

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:17:08 pm »
Actually I just swapped a tractor with a cab for one without.  So much easier to see where the wheels and loader are in tight spots and when you're jumping on and off all the time the doors were a pain. 

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 08:40:52 am »

We have a second hand Polaris, good machine but frankly it spends most of its time locked away, quads are the rural thieves target of choice, a decent 4x4 tractor would be a better option.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:38 pm »

We have a second hand Polaris, good machine but frankly it spends most of its time locked away, quads are the rural thieves target of choice, a decent 4x4 tractor would be a better option.

I have an old Polaris diesel which plods around doing what I need. It is quite slow so if you are on a hill probably a petrol would e a better bet!!

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:51 pm »

Its a petrol semi auto and its a bliddy good machine, the problem is if we use it on our land the local scumbags always seem to take an interest and we are 'visited' in the hope we will have been daft enough to leave it in the barn, we usually have a spike in vandalism and petty theft on the days after we have been using it >:(

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2011, 03:06:53 pm »
quad is one of the most usefull things  always had new 4x4 ones but one got nicked so got a cheap taty looking 2wd  realy miss 4x4 though it carnt handle the trailer and you realy have to think what path to take up the hills so it will make it however drop the trailer off and it gos whereever i want normaly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS