Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on quad bike please  (Read 11952 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: advice on quad bike please
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
Just put mine on ebay a Can Am 400 - good piece of kit but I've decided I need a compact tractor, would like to keep both but she who must be obeyed is pulling a face.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 08:31:14 am »

We have a second hand Polaris, good machine but frankly it spends most of its time locked away, quads are the rural thieves target of choice, a decent 4x4 tractor would be a better option.

I have one and love it, tho for attachment jobs a tractor is a must.

Anyway according to the farming forums one farmer parks his Polaris in front of his shed where he keeps his other quads, knowing they wont bother to nick the Polaris. But for me with the sheep and only gentle slopes its the most useful thing but only cos its the 6 wheeled version with the mini tipper tray back, so I can carry feed and water etc. I wouldnt bother with the 4 wheeler (which I also have as a back up).

They are too slow to round up livestock with, but the advantage of being able to use our red diesel and not keep running out of petrol is huge as we are a long way from any petrol stations.

A decent 4x4 tractor is what is ideal, but they aint cheap!! We manage with a 2wd cos we arent too slopey but any proper slope means a 4x4 for sure. If very steep an Alpine tractor for safety!

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 08:50:47 am »
we live on a 6acre smallholding and tbh i wouldnt bewithout our 4x4 honda quad.  use it pretty much every day for lugging stuff around and have a wee 6x4 trailer that we use with it for all sorts of other jobs (pooh picking the field, housing dug out ragwort, stable muckings out, taking hay and water up to the animals in all sorts of weather).

it's the one piece of kit i would instantly replace if it died on us!

our tractor on the other hand has sat in the shed for over a year unused!

i guess it's horses for courses......

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 03:31:31 pm »
I dont know what I would do without quads on the farm.

Bought a road legal one last year from the business pot and it doubles as my sunday motorcycle fix now the proper bike has gone. Downside is that its regged as a plg vehicle and has the same road tax as any commercial 4x4 - shame for something thats 1/8 of the weight and causes next to no damage to roads.

Look for something thats got a good drive train, suspension and is cheap cos it smokes a little - all these single pot engines are next to nothing to recondition and topping up the oil whenever you fill it with petrol is no hastle if the price is nice and cheap. :)

Baz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS