Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig ark wanted  (Read 3870 times)

Seth

• Joined Dec 2008
  • France
    • Compact tractors
Pig ark wanted
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:20 pm »
Hi all

I am looking for a couple of pig arks. We are setting up for the first time in april and we are trying to keep the cost down so used arks would be prefared. We can collect. Please be gentle with the price ;)

Seth.

rustyme

Re: Pig ark wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:13:57 pm »
hello Seth,
             if nothing at the right price pops up and you have access to cheap straw or hay bales (the small rectangular ones) and a few sheets of corrugated iron ,or similar. Then you could make some very cheap temporary pig housing . They should last a season at least , but even if they don't you can just make another with some more bales. Really rubbish stuff can be used, farmers even give this type away .You can also use pig netting in a double row , say about 18"-24" apart , placed in the shape of the house you want to make . Fill the gap between with straw ,pack tightly and cover with either corrugated iron or a few 4"x2"s and old doors or whatever you have , to make the roof. All these ways will last a fair time if you make them well , and can be made for next to nothing . Most of the materials needed could be found on freecycle or even bought very cheaply from a local tip, thats if you don't already have the stuff laying around.  Good luck whatever way you go with it though ...

cheers

Russ

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »
Hi Seth,

We made our arc out of a big old oil tank (it hadn't been used for years and years so was nice and clean)
We cut a hole for the door and an opening window up top for ventilation (it also came in handy for access to sweep bedding out and load more in)
Our piggies loved it ! I would've insulated it for winter quarters but as we only had them from March to November there was no real need to.
But as Russ says you can make them out of just about anything - pigs aren't really that fussy as long as they've got a buddy to snuggle into they're quite happy.

Good luck with it.

Karen  :pig:

Seth

• Joined Dec 2008
  • France
    • Compact tractors
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:30 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I know I could use make shift shelters but our pigs will be moved regularly so we where looking for something more permanent and easy to move.

I would like to go down the root of a proper ark.

Seth

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:51:25 pm »
Hi Seth

We built triangular section arks using 3x sheets of 8ft x 4ft ply.  2 for the roof, one for the floor and some 4"x2" framing.  If you add some handles, 2 people can shift them ok (minus the pigs!)
They will easily do 2 pigs to pork weight and we once managed 3 though it was touch and go by 6 months old!
Keeps the cost down and if you screw them together you can dismantle them when not in use to store indoors.

Cheers

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS