Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 2417 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Mastitis?
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:39 pm »
My BT milker (6kgs per day atm) has just started to have a number of hard lumps in one quarter, and also has become a bit "kicky" during milking. I did the washing-up liquid in milk test - and yes it seems to be mastitis.

What antibiotics have people used - and are there any that do NOT need to go straight into the teat? Hers are tiny and I have never done anything like that.... an injection would be so much easier...

With the "into the teat" method - would you only treat the affected side, or is it better to just treat both?

Anything else I should be mentioning to the vet in the morning? What other methods have people used?

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:06:16 am »
think its best to do both jab in the bum and the syringe up the teat.  It is not nice as most are made for cattle and large

Diane

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:11:59 am »
The Goat Veterinary Society do not advise tubing the teats anymore ... more damage is caused than cured. If you damage the teat lining, it could be permanent.

I would never let my Vet use tubes for this very reason.

99% of all mastitis can be cured by antibiotic injections, but you need to act very quickly...call the Vet today.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »
Thanks, have done and the first shot of Pen&Strep plus some flunixin went in. Fortunately vet agreed to antibiotic rather than teat tubes....

She is still milking very well, and other than lumps in her udder and milk going gooey with washing up liquid there were no other signs, so hopefully we are on our way....

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:09:31 pm »
Well done. Hope it fixes quickly  :-*

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »
Hope it settles down quickly. Cow tubes do seem to be used far less now than they used to be. Our vet doesn't even keep any.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS