Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat house cleaning.  (Read 3024 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Goat house cleaning.
« on: April 19, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »
Hi everyone. First question for the novice keeper. My babies are in a house roughly 2 metres by 2 metres and around 2 metres high. They are only really using a quarter of it, so only one half is covered with straw. The rest is set aside for their food and water bowls. We will be building them a bed off the floor, which will be a new experience for them, and will also be putting in something for them to stand on. What I need to know is, how often do you clean your houses out. At the moment, Im doing it every other day, and I plan once a week to clear everything out and disinfect the whole floor. Is this enough? Luckily their little "currents" sweep up very easily, so cleaning them out is as easy as doing the chooks. Am I doing it right or dont I have to be so fussy? All info gratefully received!.

Mary.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Goat house cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:11:21 pm »
I believe it depends on your shed base - if it's concrete and has drainage then you can let bedding get deeper and clean out maybe only 4 times a year, we have hard core (gravel - for drainage) with a deep bed on top but if it's a timber floor then you won't won't it to get too wet and rot - so for timber once a week I would go for, but I may be corrected!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:14:21 am »
We have a concrete/brick floor and I clean out about every 8 weeks, having topped up the straw several times during that period. It's horrid underneath by then but still fine on top.

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
We have a concrete floor and I tend to clean daily during the summer and then leave it to deep litter through the winter for warmth probably cleaning out once a month or so depending on how 'squishy' it feels under foot  ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »
We "deep litter" meaning we only muck out about 8-12 weeks, but keep adding on fresh straw on top as the pen needs it.

However- it really depends on what type of flooring you have, and on how YOU want to keep your goats. I have friends whose method is similar to what you are talking about- they have one half of the pen boarded off (about 6inches higher than the other side). That side has their straw on it, and they poo pick every day from the deep bed, and replenish straw. The other side is left as bare concrete, and is swept out twice a day.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS