Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )  (Read 37770 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2009, 11:06:32 pm »
My Dad used to always put the soot on the garden, and the ashes were saved for the winter to put on the path if it was icy.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

rustyme

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:42 pm »
hello NFD,
            re:soot. You have to let it weather for 12 months before using on the soil. It is then a good one for adding to soil to keep down slugs etc .. It is also meant to darken the soil and therefore warm it up faster  ::).   Not sure what chemicals are in it though ????? ;D

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2009, 11:59:38 pm »
That's right Dad had a soot pile in the back garden so it was left for a good while.  He used to say it was good fro his roses so I don't know what's in it.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:12 am »
Thought last nights was very good - Think i would have had stronger fencing. Not  sure howmuch i would panic if sheep got out like that-proberly i would panice a great deal.

sandy

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2009, 10:54:34 am »
We need our chimneys swept and I remember saying to someone how the Chimney sweep used to sell his soot to farmers and they looked at me gone out!!! What a job, soot spreading, I suppose marginally better than much spreading!!!! I used to be frightened at the Coalman as all you could see were the whites of his eyes peeping out from under his cap!!!! I tip my ashes on the gravel at the top of the garden where the chickens are, I firstly leave it to cool in a bucket for a day other wise we may have a bus fire!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »
Didn't notice the 'bus' last time I was in your garden ;)  The girls could use it as a chicken coop! He he - I know you meant BUSH!!!! Just my joke! ;D

rustyme

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2009, 01:20:39 pm »
yeah .... you wait for ages and then three flaming buses come along at once.....lol ...such is life..
 ;D :D :D

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2009, 10:38:19 pm »
You mean 'bushes' ;) ;D ;D ;D

sandy

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2009, 10:53:21 pm »
My brain works faster than my fingers...or maybe not!!!!!! Anyway, no Buses in my garden,

stuart NTB

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 12:03:57 am »
Re the Tales from the Green Valley. You need to remember that the television series of the Green Valley was just a blip in the life of a project running since 1987 and still continuing today. Over 700 people from nearly 30 countries have been involved and much of the site was not involved in the programs. Lots more has happened since the series was filmed in 2003-4 the latest including a fully functional 17th cntury dye house. If any of you would like to visit the site [in Monmouthshire] call me on 01275 463041

Stuart

rustyme

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 12:14:37 am »
Hello Stuart,
             yes .... I read your book on the making of the series and the site . As you have no doubt read elsewhere on these posts , I like the series a lot.....it has a very special atmosphere about it , and replicates many of the things I do on my little section of the world, and even of the way I live.  Do you have any plans  to write a follow up to the book ? If dvd's were like records, my copy of the series would have been worn flat , long ago. Congratulations and a big thankyou for making it .

cheers

Russ
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:23:16 am by rustyme »

stuart NTB

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 08:34:02 pm »
There may be a second edition bringing the Green Valley up to date but this is at an early stage as the oringinal publisher has just sold out to a new publisher and it will take a little while for a decision to come through although if they decide to show the series in the US it might all move rapidly.

What is out there already is the research which was done over the 20 years before the series which has been published: 20 small volumes on period agriculture [including gardens, livestock orchards etc], about 40 on period food and cookery, and loads more on everything from clothing to music. If you look at the books section of www.stuart-hmaltd.com you might find some useful material.

The Green Valley is one of 3 smallholdings I am working on. The two in Somerset are mostly involved in growing ancient fruit varieties and producing my fuel supply from coppice plus pond restoration for grass carp. We are also starting a new project to ballence all the land we use for historical sites, smallholdings etc with equel areas with no human exploitation. We are reverting these areas from modern farmland to primeval woodland. It should take about 1,000 years to mature but you have to think long term.

Stuart

rustyme

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
     Good news about the second edition update . I will be waiting for it !!!!  I have read a few of your booklets etc and very good reading they make too. I could read stuff all day about this period of time. Sadly most of the information I read goes out as fast as it goes in ...lol, still perfect excuse to read it all again. One thing I must say is you certainly stick with it .... I read about all the problems etc in setting up what became Little Woodham , and then you went on to do the  Green Valley site. Persistant if nothing else ...lol. Once I am not buying haylage for my horses, I will be getting some more of your books ( I read far to much ). The ofset primeval woodland sounds interesting . As you say , long term ( to put it mildly !!) and very costly . My next big project is making a waterwheel . To supply all the mechanical power for my smallholding , ie to run a sawmill a woodwork shed and a forge , as well as any farm type machinery  that I can.

Cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS