Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )  (Read 37701 times)

rustyme

Re: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 09:39:56 pm »
yes I like a few modern gadgets.....I think I have said before I would hate to be without electric light , that I think is a basic one , I would also miss my bread maker hugely....I can make bread all by hand , But the ole bread maker saves a lot of time . I too really love my little digital camera that does video as well. Mobile phone not too bothered about, but have one in case...in case of what I am not too sure...lol. I have a micro wave but rarely use it . The pc has been a god send....and would really miss it . Welly boots are really the only other thing I would miss to any great extent , saying that though , the more you think about it the longer the list gets....lol.           If I had to , I could live a victorian type lifestyle , without any mod cons , but given the choice I will keep a few goodies . I have lived without electricity or gas in the past , three years I did it . Although I got used to it , I  would rather live with it , oil lamps are a real pain as are candles . They may be ok for a few hours now and then . But to live with them ... phew ...the novelty soon wears off. Simple life with a few mod cons is how I like it ....

cheers

Russ

sandy

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 10:08:09 pm »
I agree, the funny thing is both mine and my partners most expensive item has been Muddies for me and Muck boots for my partner, the same realy, very very cumfy, if they had no mud on them I would wear them around the house. I had a discussion earlier about living in Scotland, I love it but it does get chillier here, I rarely wore a coat living in England, just a decorative one or one not done up, now I live in wooly jumpers most days, even sometimes in the summer....also I bought a vest years ago, a pretty one, and that is also a daily wear and wash. Anyway, the  matching items I used to weat, including a bit of Bling, have long been tucked away, I may look a bit odd sometimes but I am happy ;D

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2009, 09:52:27 am »
the joy of central heating in my cold home would be such a  pleasure i agree - ive never been able to afford it -not a big house but way to bigger boiler required. I think the net and the pc has to be one of the biggest inventions we will ever know about inour lifetime .I love all the new technology dont get me wrong but more often than not this past year  i want to step back in time  so much.I fell in love with the dales over the past few years and all around pendle hill clitheroe etc - barnard castle - all around the a66 and everything is so much the way its always been in apperanace  -with the dales  very much due to the national park authority keeping things that way but the locals cant afford to buy as so much as been bought as holiday homes. The structure of the dales in pretty unblemished which is a good thing but the derelict barns are allowed  to get into disrepair so much which could be the catalyst of bringing  life and energy  into communities  and affordable homes as long as they are done sympathetically  would bring a lot tothe dales for local people,somuch of the hosuing stays empty or holiday homes. The whole area has a feelof the past rather than the present -the technology is in but controlled - I just feel bombared with ads and big brother watching you syndrome all the time and its time to stepback to a more layed back and self sufficient lifestyle whilst dare i say a few 21st century treats. id love a wood burning fire in the house - and id love a  wood burning aga - a second hand one would be good as long as i had someone that could plumb it all in. The victorians must have had it tough but i bet they were so happy.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2009, 11:37:28 am »
Don't forget you can get grants for insulation and possibly also central heating depending on your age.

http://www.grants.gov

http://www.heatproject.co.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2009, 01:43:36 pm »
thanks  for that - when your self employed they seem tosay noto everything but thanks somuch for that - will definatly have a peek to see if i can get anything -thankyou

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009, 09:43:09 pm »
I got 50% grant towards additional loft insulation - provided you only have the bog standard 4 inches of yesteryear you will get it - you only pay £250 for first 100 sq metres, then £5  per sq m after that. including labour.  Anyone over 70 pays nothing.  Wish I could get cavity wall insulation as well but they can't do that on a 20 year old kit house apparently
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009, 10:09:51 pm »
Watch out for contractors ripping off the government on the heating scheme! My better half applied for a central heating system because our old one had broken down in September and would you believe it, the guy said he would only do it if he could rip our all our old radiators, pipes and take the old tank with him, too! We said no thanks to that unless they would only replace what's needed. We never heard from them again! He was obviously only after the scrap metal as a bonus in addition to what he would get from the government for doing the job. An absolute scam. In the end we bought a new burner and fitted it ourselves for a fraction of what they would have charged the council for a whole new system. An interesting experience though to meet those guys! If you think in any way outside the box you can't take advantage of those brilliant sounding schemes (unless you fight for it!).
Ah, yes, when they did the insulation a few years back, they just left some rolls in the attic as it was too hard work to lay them out around the beams (different contractors but their own words)...I hope you will have a better experience with getting the help that's promised!

sandy

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »
Just logginf off to watch this, hard work and good food etc equals a full and happy life, I wish I was younger as there is more to do than I have time to dooooooo!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 11:40:29 am »
Very interesting topic this. I would hate to live without our central heating and hot water. Having done so in the past they are the only things I feel I could not live without. Due to old joints etc the cold causes me loads of problems.I feel the main problem with our country is, we have turned into a people of must haves, both parents have to work and do not have the time to give their children so they lack the guidelines that were given to the older generation. When I was at school you would never have thought of giving a teacher cheek and if you did get into trouble you got worse when you got home. My mother did work but part time to fit in looking after myself and my brothers. I did the same untill my kids were well up in their teens and my sons have turned out well balanced all now married with kids of their own. I do think it is much harder for parents now as so much is thrown at kids to have the latest phone, clothes, games etc and they expect to get it. As for your kids living with you when they are in there 20/30's thats not doing anyone much good. They seem to spend their money on having a good time and think the parents should still be supporting them. I started work at 13 delivering the milk before school, left home at 15 to do my training at a riding school near Kinross and my mother did not need to support me. I learnt how to manage my money so i could afford my digs and clothes and still save. I would say this was good training for when I had my own family. I do feel that parents today are worn out, over stressed and missing out on enjoying life. After all we only get one shot at it and I feel time is the most precious thing we have.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 09:05:55 pm »
I think too many parents are caught in a catch 22 - they work to buy things, then feel guilty about lack of time, so buy more things and so on. I know people who borrow money to buy Christmas presents - lots of money, too. It's all gone mad.

Also, too many parents want to be friends with their kids - that can't be - kids have friends their own age - our job as adults is to be, well, adults, grown-ups, setting the boundaries. My parents weren't my friends - that wasn't their job. They did their job pretty well (IMHO!)

I read an article in the dentist last week by a psychologist. She was comparing what parents want with how children interpret it. I can't remember all the detail ( it was called Little Prince (ess) Syndrome or something similar - for example, parents want their children to be treated fairly and equally; children may interpret this to mean that they shoudl be treated like adults (even when they are only trainee adults); parents want their children to have stimulating experiences; children may intepret this as having a right not to have to do anything mundane and boring; and so on. There were lots of examples.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 10:00:20 pm »
The trouble today, is kids are not given the time to be just kids. When I was young during school holidays my mother saw us at breakfast then made us a sandwich and never saw us again till around 5pm. My brothers and myself had great adventures building dams or tree houses. In the park at the local pond racing with the rowing boats things like that. TV was something we never thought of bothering with. We made our own entertainment. At 14 i was still playing with my dolls now a days some 14 year old have a child of their own which I feel is so sad. What happened to make children feel that they have to grown up so quickly. some of kids clothes are terrible more suited to an 18 year old than 10. When one of my sons put their daughter in childcare as both of them worked he was paying £500 a month which was more than there mortgage just crazy.When my grand children come to visit they love the place, freedom to play outside, act like kids should. I don't blame the parents for wanting the best for their children, we all want that but how are they suppose to learn about real life if all they do is sit in front of a TV or play station all day.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 10:01:57 pm »
Mine were happy enough with hand-me-downs and second hand stuff, like for gameboys and cheaper MP3s. I do get the suspicion that they even depise the lot who have all the gadgets and throw their money around ("their parents must feel guilty"). I think it's good for kids to learn that one doesn't have to have everything one might like and can't have it all. I taught them that things don't make you happy, you have one thing you want the next. That's why our society is in trouble now. At least that one thing in my life I do know whatever others say - it was the right thing to have always been there for them, it's been worth it being poor lol. They love the program, buy the way!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 10:09:34 pm »
My parents weren't my friends - that wasn't their job

My Dad was never my friend - he was an army Sergeant and didn't show his emotions much but my sister and I both knew he loved us and what our boundaries were.  My Mum became my friend after I got married and had my own kids.  She was retired by that time and since I didn't work while the kids were little we spent a lot of time together with the children.  I was a child of before TV, so went out picking hot wet tar off the roads, climbing trees and scraping my knees, renovating a rusty old bicycle in my Gran's shed, training my Granda's gundog to jump (as if :o); my own kids had limited TV programs and they were always out playing too - rain or shine.  I think we all benefited from this environment.  My own grandchildren are only allowed a short time of 'electronics' each day, including TV. 
Annie

sandy

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 10:36:34 pm »
Durring my marrage I dedicated nearly all my time to my three daughters, as my now Ex husband was not at all interested so basiclay left me to it, as long as the house was clean and a three course meal waiting for him, he kept well away. I ran the house like a nursery/school and was very organised but was always having fun, I would play with thier toy's then carefuly leave them to make thier own game up, clean up with load music on and the children would help, shopping was made into fun as I made little lists when they were young and asked each to find certain things and asked their opinion, of course sometimes there was arguments, when they were older thier firends and boyfriends would come shopping with me as well!!! yes, I can hardly believe it myself. At night I would read my own stories, in fact, this went on until I left the family home due to my divorce, they were then all in thier late teens.  :-* I worked in Nurseries, Secondary Schools and upper Schools and also am a Qualified Youth Worker, and went off to uni with my eldest and Yes, they are my best friends, they tell me every detail about their lives (I don't) we have a wonderful relationship although my eldest has emigrated she mentions me in an article she published so, it worked for me, their friends often came to visit me as well, maybe I am strange but that is me.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 10:43:30 pm »
We just watched todays episode - I highly recommend homemade ginger beer! It was a bit tart for the family, but I love it, must make some again.
Re. last episode: does anyone put their soot in their garden? I thought everything from a coal fire was an absolute NoNo, so it would never have occurred to me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS