Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )  (Read 37769 times)

rustyme

Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:33:05 am »
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=70ICAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=the+family+saveall#PPA4,M1

Not sure if this is the same copy as in the program , but it is the same title and subject , and about the right era 1861. The link is for The Family Save All, a cook book . Once again the whole book can be downloaded to your pc , or you may just read it online . Hope it is of use .

cheers

Russ

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Victorian Farm ( The Family Save-all )
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 08:41:22 am »
I watched that programme on TV last night - absolutely fascinating.  Extremely well researched and put over very well
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:12:42 pm »
fabulous book Russ , looks like you've found another nugget for us all to enjoy , i find it funny though - the more we "advance" as a society , the more pertinent it seems to me that we need to keep the older skills , traditions , and ways of life - guess thats why we do everything we do as a group of people
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:07:25 pm »
Thanks Russ!

Just downloaded it and I think it will be very useful

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

rustyme

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:30:39 am »
glad it was of interest Guy + Dave,
     If you enjoyed the Victorian Farm Annie , I am sure you would enjoy the one they made before . Tales From The Green Valley, you may have seen it before ? It was about life in the early 1600's. The same 3 people along with Stuart Peachey and Chloe Spencer . It is very VERY similar in content ( even some of the script is the same !!!) and layout . The programs are in such a total contrast to the life we now lead ( well I almost live like they do in the programs anyway , apart from the pc , the bread maker , electric light oh and wellie boots, thank god for wellie boots ). If you miss any of the series you can watch it on bbc iplayer.

cheers

Russ

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 06:32:20 pm »
I have to agree that the Victorian Farm is well worth watching. It has made me wonder if we really are better off now. somehow I am not sure.Life may have been harder as most of the jobs are done by hand but they had the right idea of what was important, now people want the latest of everything and without doubt money is far more important than people. Our old Fergie was born in 1954. Now she looks a bit on the rough side but she does us very well. We have big round bales of hay and straw which we could not move about without her. My husband made a sprayer for her and she stacks up the muck heap every winter. We did try to find a plough for her but no luck. We do talk about getting a newer tractor but as long as Lisa does the job why bother. I like to come home from work and get on with my outside chores, we don't go out much and like nothing better being at home working with our animals. Takes away any stress that the day has thrown at us. I have just order my veg seeds on a Saturday evening which some people may find sad but for me it was a couple of hours well spent.  :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 06:44:19 pm »
I think we're all like minded enough here to not think that you're sad sabrina doing your seed order. I agree with you, I don't know that the way we live now is right. The older I get (and I'm not that old) the more I wish we lived a lot simpler a life. It also makes me think it'd be worthwhile if we were struck down by plague or whatever, at least we could go back to simpler times. Hard times maybe, but better ones.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 06:49:04 pm »
Hi all

I think Victorian Farm is a good watch too.  It's amazing how much of the machinery is still in use on this Island.  We have a similar root chopper and a similar rolling mill here!  
Where abouts are you sabrina? We got a fergie 2 furrow plough from Fergieland in Derbyshire and there are lots in the Highlands and Islands.  You only need a class one hitch plough and you can adjust it for the width of the fergie.

Dave

rustyme

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:18:10 pm »
yes, I think we all on here do much the same Sabrina ( or wish we could ) . I pretty much live a lifestyle that is much like the victorian farm or even the earlier program about 17th century life , with a few modern bits tagged on . I think that we, in the so called civilized west, have evolved into a very strange way of life , far removed from reality. I think that we have a huge crunch heading our way . The situation the world is in at the moment ( economic collapse ) may be the beginning of some very hard times , and it will be the western world that will be hit hardest . Lots of people still live very different lifestyles to us and have to deal with famine and disease every year . We may have these things heading our way for many different reasons . Whatever happens , the way we live now will have to change . It cannot be sustained much longer . Our whole way of life is lived on a knife edge that hardly anyone realizes. Our food supply is based on a 3 day turn round and supply , stop the supply and 3 days later empty shops. Cut the power for even a short time and our whole existance becomes very precarious. Cut the fuel and the same happens , no food deliveries , no food deliveries for 3 days and hay ho ..... If there was no food to be had in shops from tomorrow I could get by till my crops started to provide food later in the year , but how many others could do the same? I would be suprised if even a third of the country could . Whatever happens , I will continue to live the way I do , one foot in the modern world and the other in the past , or just simpler really. If everything went wrong tomorrow , and we were thrown back a few hundred years , it would only effect me for a week or so , but on the whole I wouldn't even notice ...Things may well continue as they are now ( more or less) for some time , but they may also change . I think that if they do change it could be by a lot and very fast too. I just shiver at the thought of what all the people in big towns and cities would have to do !!!! I will just hide on my six acres and do what I do now ...lol. Sorry for boring the life out of you .....

cheers

Russ

Guy

• Joined Feb 2008
  • East Devon
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »
hardly boring Russ , as always you seem to hit the nail on the head , its so important we (as a society) dont lose all the skills that we see on this forum.........reckon it would be a near impossibility to convince the masses though? - reckon i'll open the bar now :P
relax and enjoy life - let others do the worrying

sandy

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »
I find that programme the best on TV, very well made, It is interesting that hard work is good for you, where you are physically involved in producing your food or housekeeping, you have no time to be depressed, I was shocked to find my Grandad (a Scotsman) worked down the pit into his 70's, I remember him being a rich and inchanting charactor, he was bow legged due to a mining accident and as he became ill I saw him burn off his stubble with some lit paper..tough. I also love the programme about the Histor of Scotland but it looses me, I understand why the Scots are so proud of their country, it is truly magnificent...Sandy

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:42:36 pm »
I very much agree with you Russ and Guy.  The changes you list will happen....who knows when, maybe quite soon, maybe in a few years, but it will happen.  This is one of the main reasons we moved to Lewis to do what we do and we are mighty glad to have had the three years to get it set up to some degree.
Have any of you read "Retieved from the Future" by John Seymour?

Dave

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 10:23:24 pm »
Does anyone remember what the red flower was she used for the lip balm? My daughters and me are into making our own creams and love to try this!
I also wish I had one of these baskets, but will not try to make one just yet lol

sandy

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 10:40:19 pm »
I would love one of those baskets more than a face lift (thats a lot more) i would like a CD  of the whole series, we missed a lot and there is a lot of valuable information there, back to basics, I wounder if the Cd's are available? Sandy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 10:56:59 pm »
Here's the link for the BBC iplayer - three programmes http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search/?q=victorian%20farm
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS