Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Layers pellets for cocks?  (Read 4245 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Layers pellets for cocks?
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:22:27 pm »
Can anyone tell me if there is any issue with cocks eating layers pellets? I have a coupld of coks running with the hens so obviously they eat the same feed. Is this going to affect their potency?

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: Layers pellets for cocks?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:29:32 pm »
Most people have the same, you wont stop him eating them. My lot a free to go about the place and are eating the pig nuts (lots of them) I did ask about it and was told its OK.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:04 am »
Thats a relief about the pig nuts mine appear to prefer them to layers pellets.  On the other hand any escaping pig makes straight for the chicken food.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:32 am »
It's supposedly bad for their kidneys in the long run. I can't stop my drakes eating the pellets either (I'm sure they do although I've never watched one at the pellet feeder to be honest), but I make sure they always have mixed grain as well and hope they choose that instead! A well experienced friend told us to limit the amount of pellets altogether to what it says on the bag (I think it's 160g a day per bird) out of health concerns.
Hope this helps.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:41:57 pm »
My penned birds have ad lib pellets and then a handful of mixed corn each at 3.30 - is this not right then?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:51:00 pm »
I think it's better for them (according to our mate with years of experience) if you give them corn and grit ad lib and regulate the amount of pellets...Check your bag, it might be different for different producers according to their composition. You can always up it again, if you think they're not getting enough - see if it makes a difference to the eggs production if you reduce them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS