Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much?  (Read 2315 times)

Maddox

• Joined Jan 2009
How much?
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:14 pm »
Hello All

Please forgive my newbie questions but I have now got 6 lovely hens (3 Bluebells & 3 Light Sussex) at POL, may I ask how much I should be feeding them, at the moment give Layers pellets in the morning & again mid afternoon, in the evening I give mixed corn in there coop to try and get em in but they still roost in the shed (only been a week).

I also give them left over scraps an they have plenty of grit & oyster shell. At the moment they are in a 12ft by 6ft shed with a small run, when Im feeling brave I will let them free range.

Any advice very welcome.

Many thanks

Maddox

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: How much?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »
I feed mine adlib - they just take what they want / need. They are free range though and don't eat an awful lot of pellets. Too many other tasty bits out there!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 08:10:34 pm »
Mine are in a run and get a plastic picnic mug of layers pellets morning and evening between 6, plus any veg that I can get from neighbours, what's left in the fridge.  When I first got my ex-batts they got extra (sort of milk/honey porridge) to help get coats on them and strengthen their rittle regs.

I haven't had the courage to free range mine yet as little Freckles retrieves them - even from inside their run ;).  Once the duck run is complete the ex-batts will go in with their posh cousins in the front garden and have a little more room.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 02:38:49 pm »
 our 8 big birds share 1 l bucket (large yoghurt pot) of pellets and the same or a bit more of mixed corn over the day. They take less of it since they can roam now and get all the lovely bugs ans slugs - kitchen scraps on top, they love porridge and rice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS