Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fuel Oil Theft  (Read 7626 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Fuel Oil Theft
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:33 am »

Checked our kerosene tank this morning and discovered some thieving toe-rag has had it away with more than 600 litres of heating oil sometime recently! I'm fuming!

There's virtually no crime round where we live so it must have been someone targetting our area specifically, from elsewhere.

Keep your eyes peeled, people, they're gettting everywhere now.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fuel Oil Theft
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 11:49:03 am »
OMG, that's a lot of money too!  Guess it's the economic climate again. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:12:43 pm »
how low can people stoop  >:(

we had a similar problem about 2years ago, which resulted in us losing all our oil, and nowe have to make sure it is locked up so noone can get in.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »
Its getting terrible now -raiding oil tanks.  We are down a country lane, and down a long farm track.  Our neighbours are in a courtyard if 4 houses, and while they were all at work etc, a full tank of oil disappeared......it had been delivered two days earlier.  The theft was traced to a neighbour (who has a record for stealing and drug related incidents)  It went to court, as did the fact that my horse wagon had been relieved of a full tank of diesel - the night before a show when it was full.  I know who it was because their car and van were dripping in diesel which had been poured in in a hurry.

Unfortunately they were found not guilty on both counts as they were not "caught in the act" so to speak, and therefore not enough proof.  They sat there smirking, and continue their thieving other peoples diesel.

Apparantly if our diesel had been "personalised" as in coloured or something, we would then have had proof.  Great, but I thought I would be using the diesel the following day, not having to dye it in case it was robbed!!!!

It looks like people are watching where the oil tanker goes to and tipping thieves off.  Its not right and a lot of money to lose.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:50:33 pm »
We've just had reminder about locking up the oil at our church as there has been a lot of thefts from rural churches here. Apparently we must have it padlocked otherwise the insurers won't pay out if it gets nicked.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
Sign of the times when you have to lock your oil up.  There again, I walk past a field in the middle of nowhere, and notice he  has giant padlocks on his hen shed, and what looks like his feed store.  There were some lovely hanging baskets in front of the village shops, paid for by the shops, but the village council provided the nice brackets.

Beautiful they were, until someone helped themselves.  Suppose they will be chaining the baskets to the brackets this year!!!

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »
It is amazing what people will steal, we had our hen house stolen a few months back and they even let all the chickens out first!!

Needless to say we now have it bolted to the ground and padlocked. It was particularly bad around us at Christmas time but not so bad now.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:26 pm »
Pubs in London / Essex have been chaining their hanging baskets for as long as I can remember.

And pinching oil has been a topic on the news for quite some time now. Putting the oil tank into a securely locked outbuilding seems to be the answer.

Lock everything up.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:07 pm »
It goes on everywhere, a neighbour of mine was one of the lucky ones with a peat bank next to the road.Someone must have been waiting for him to do all the hard work even bag it up waiting for transporting and then went along one night and took the lot! Now he has a peat bank on the moor away from tracks so you have to carry the peat to a track like me ::)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
If that were mine Hermit Id be tempted to put some stink bombs where I knew where they were in the peat pile but the thieves wouldnt - they might take it but they wouldnt make it down the road before asphyxiating  ;D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 06:07:42 am »
We've been advised not to put a lock on our oil tank because the theives will just bore a hole into it, causing more £ of loss  ???  Seems like the only way is to try & build a block/brick housing around the tank.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:50:56 am »
Stink bombs for in the car, no I would put them inside a piece of peat and leave the experience for when they put it on the fire ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:33:50 am »
you can get your tank alarmed    our neighbour had oil stolen they came back a second time alarm went of they scarper-ed left there tools of the trade behind them  police were there in 5 minutes but caught nobody  :wave: :wave:
i am sure the more astute among us will have various methods of theft prevention and retribution given the equipment and substances that are freely available to agriculture ;) ;) ;) ;)
now remember farms are dangerous places (the HSE keep telling us) strangers?and the middle of the night (without lights)is a really bad combination                         now take care and don't have bad dreams :wave: :wave:

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:24 am »
There have been a few scattered reports of fuel-oil theft on Skye these past two winters.
It is just a sad reflection on "society" and the lack of morales and scruples in these current times.
Rgds
S Skye
Rgds
Sskye

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:08:19 am »
do the people in skye still leave there doors unlocked at night :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS