Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from North Wales  (Read 5309 times)

mikethecamera

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Denbighshire
Hello from North Wales
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:48 pm »
Well, I guess it's time to introduce ourselves,  :wave: been lurking on here for a few weeks now whilst we got confirmation that our move was definitley going to happen.

My name is Mike (you probably guessed that by my user name  :)), my wife is Paula, and we have three terrors, I mean children, aged 8,9 &12.
We're moving at the end of the month to an old farmhouse in North Wales (Denbighshire), it has large gardens and loads of outbuildings, and we intend to keep some chickens and perhaps (probably next year) a couple of pigs. We're going to try and grow our own veg. The house is a bit of a mess at the moment, but I'm sure it will tidy up, just as soon as the veggies are planted and the chickens settled  :).
As you can probably guess, we're VERY excited, time is dragging, the sun is shining, I need to get the spuds in and we're fed up of buying eggs from the supermarket!.
No doubt I(we), will be making a few posts asking for advice, this is all new to us and apart from growing a few veg a number of years ago, we have no experience whatsoever, really looking forward to the hard work and satisfaction It seems lots of you get, (from reading your posts).
I go self employed at the end of the month, which will hopefully give me more time to get things going on the 'farm', although I have no doubt money is going to be tight!.
Well, that's all for now, hope to get to know a few of you along the way, and we'll keep you posted on the move and development of the garden and livestock.
Thanks for reading,
Mike.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hello from North Wales
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:39:12 pm »
A warm welcome from north Cumbria.  Sally :wave:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 01:19:23 pm »
Welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave: Congratulations and best wishes on your forthcoming move!

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »
 Hello and Welcome from Sunny South West Wales  :wave:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:08 pm »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 04:54:41 pm »
Hello to Mike and Paul and the nameless kiddies - from Amanda Alyn and our two nameless kiddies - lovely house by the way - is everyone moving to Wales?  Smallholder magazine seems to be full of Welsh smallholders!  Welcome!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:40:16 pm »
Hi there  :wave:  Don't forget to have those kiddies working in the veg patch from the get-go.  They are a perfect age for squashing pests too small for us to see, getting out little weeds before they get too big, and helping themselves to peas straight from the pod - what a lovely childhood they will have  :) 8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:52:57 pm »
Hiya & welcome from West Scotland  :wave:

Hope the move goes safely for you all.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

mikethecamera

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Denbighshire
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 07:36:14 am »
Thankyou all for the welcome,  :)
Mike & Paula

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 09:20:10 am »
 :wave:  A belated welcome from Brittany.  You could spend all the waiting time reading the posts on this forum and be armed with as much knowledge as most will ever need.  (Very knowledgeable people on here)  :D.    The terrors can be very useful collecting ladybirds and rehoming them on veggies susceptible to greenfly.

cluckingnuts

• Joined Oct 2010
  • llyn peninsula
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 09:33:02 am »
Hi Mike + Paula,

I bet the days are dragging at the moment waiting for the move. Will the kids holidays involve a spade each?

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 11:34:26 am »
hi & welcome from central scotland :wave: :wave: :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 07:30:41 pm »
Hello and welcome! I'm in Caerphilly, but if you can make it to Builth Wells for either the RW Spring Festival, May 21/22(crap name - changed recently, but we all know it as the Smallholder Show) or the main RW show in July, do come and find me in the pig building and say hello! I'll be there with some pigs, as usual.
Good luck with the new venture x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

chrispy4949

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 01:07:08 pm »
Hi from Bulgaria.  chrispy4949.    :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS