Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bacon?  (Read 12589 times)

Lemming

• Joined Jan 2009
Bacon?
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:56 am »
We've tried all sorts of recipes but our bacon just tastes like very salty salt pork.

Any suggestions very gratefully received...

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Bacon?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:06:52 am »
Hmmmm,I've only made bacon once,did the salt cure thing for a few weeks,rinsed it off,then oak smoked it for a few hours in a homemade smoker. Next time I won't smoke for as long as five hours,maybe just one. It's now hung in the larder wrapped in pillowcase. Once it's sliced,it does need soaking in tepid water for about 20 minutes or so (this takes enough salt out of the meat for me),then patting dry before frying........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:35:15 am »
Ask Andrew - the bacon I had from him and Janis is superb!  I think he said it was a sweet cure but don't know how it's done.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:53 am »
We've tried all sorts of recipes but our bacon just tastes like very salty salt pork.

How did you make it?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:55:19 am »
I made bacon for the first time last year from my own pigs. I purchased a pack of ready mixed cure from www.designasausage.co.uk I followed the instructions to the letter and the bacon was fantastic. A local butcher was kind enough to slice it for me. The instructions on this website are very similar. I used cool boxes and kept them in the garage. I only used the ready made mixture as I had so much to do with two pigs so with sausage making it was very time consuming. Next time I will take a weeks holiday to deal with it all!!
Karen

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:08:09 am »
Annie making bacon can be dark science full of mystery and weird ingredients. Alternatively you can do what I do and buy a prepared mix, massage it into the meat, leave to mature, slice and enjoy. I still have an amount of sweetcure mix from our last batch and if anyone would like some drop me a line and I will forward it to them.
Glad you are enjoying the bacon.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:45 pm »
We used Prontocure and mixed in lightly crushed peppercorns and juniper berries, cardamons and corriander seed.  It was a bit of an experiment but the results were very tasty.  We also did a ham in the same way but finished it off with a coating of molasses for about six weeks - yum!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 10:55:59 am »
I love bacon but its one of the foods I am not advised to eat anymore, something to do with the nitrites. Even the smell of it cooking is wonderful. I do so miss it.  :(

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 11:12:16 am »
cant imagine life without bacon - have you tried the quorn subsitutesmaybe or the bacon salad bits in a sandwich -not the samebut maybe a helpful compromise ...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 08:43:25 pm »
Is quorn not a soya product, something eles I must not have. I am told to drink a small glass of red wine a day so its not all bad. :)

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:26:19 am »
had a look in our kitchen and the bottle has gone - when im next in  the big m store i will have a loook at whats inside the packet

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 03:04:38 pm »
Sabrina,
Can I be really nosey and ask why you've not to eat bacon & soya - is it linked to gout?
I only ask cause my hubby suffers from gout and has to avoid bacon & soya (and MILLIONS of other things) and the most recent thing we're trying (after conventional medicine, internet cures and a very expensive course of homeopathy which have failed!) is he's drinking a weak solution of baking soda and water in an attempt to lower the acidity of his blood, so far it seems to be working - just thought I'd share the info in case it's relevant.
Karen  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:37:07 pm »
Karen, I am not allowed bacon or soya due to having had breast cancer. No processed food etc.

pileswasp

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 11:35:43 pm »

I've been making bacon for a couple of years now and I've had a few "very salty pork" experiences!

The first few I tried I cured for far too long.  If you want to make bacon you can eat for breakfast it really only takes 2 or 3 days in the cure.  If you want it preserved then cure it longer, but don't expect to be able to eat it on it's own!  :-P

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 06:17:48 pm »
How long you need to leave it in the salt depends on how big the piece of meat is. For a whole side of bacon we usually leave it in the salt for a week - turning every day of the first three days. Then rinse and hang to dry for a week before either slicing and freezing or smoking.

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS