Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dilemma .. Ask the council or take my chances?  (Read 6665 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Dilemma .. Ask the council or take my chances?
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:05 pm »
We've had a guy round to price up digging out the old farm pond on our land. I've advised the parish council I plan to clear it out (it's totally filled in) they're fine but suggest I ask the council if it's ok.. I do not want to go there with the job creation dept. I have copies of the old maps from 1832 and 1838 and the pond is on it so I can prove a pond was there. It was filled in around 20 years ago I believe but no more recent map.
So my dilemma is do I ask the council if it's ok and confirm I dont need planning or do I go for it and risk them telling me I have to apply for planning and risk having to fill it in again... We do live in a flood risk area but this would help stop the flooding actually...

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Dilemma .. Ask the council or take my chances?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 08:13:09 pm »
how big is it?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »
About 15 -20 ft across I guess as deep as we choose to make it but would like ducks.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:16:54 pm »
well you can build that big in a domestic garden with out pp so id go for it!!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »
Just do it - I'm an architect (sorry, not trying to sound pompous) and we are having ours dug out by a man with a super big digger - its costing us £1800 (£2,500 including price of getting the digger here) - we're digging ours as deep as possible (probably about 4ft, more if we can) and although it will still function as the mill pond we are going to use it as a swimming pond and get a wee boat.  Its about 70m long by 25m across and we have just drained it and the silt is drying out so the digger can get in.  Architects always check back to archives for any such things as this - its surprising what you can come up with sometimes - the council almost always are happy to go back to the historical, they feel safe with original intentions.  If it were us we would definately just go ahead with it - so long as you put the dried silt on your own land / access for the digger is ok etc.  You will have to think about signage perhaps for any passers by (if necessary) and best to have a couple of life saving rings just in case or even build a small jetty type thing for anyone falling in.  You may have a spring you don't know about?? If you find a manhole cover around somewhere it may be housing one.  Go for it, it'll be great - oh just a wee thing I saw on Countryfile a while back - if you are planning on putting some water reeds in it, they had someone show you how to chop the feathery type seed heads off :&> existing reeds (if you find some) and you just rub them liberally onto seed pots (tray type) and sit the tray in water and they grow really easy and then you stick them in the water - looked easy peasy. Good luck.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »
P.S. You should check if your land is listed - some people think its just the buildings, it may also be the land in which case you should make a call to the listed buildings section of your planning dept.  However, some things are better less said.....
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:39 pm »
Thanks guys.. Sod it I'm going for it I'll have the argument after cause I know there will be one!

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »
Easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask permission!!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:12:17 pm »
My OH is working on a farm renovation for someone - I cannot believe the hassle they have from the council.  Apparantly they had to stop work and apply for engineering   work permission ....er ....engineering? As far as I could see they were digging a banking out at the bottom of the field.  Then they tried to remove an old slurry tank from the ground .....oh stop!!  Yes, they needed the engineering permission again  Thats only two examples - there are plenty more!!.

Hopefully, you can do your pond  - if the council get involved, they will be doing risk assessments etc.  and demanding to know what you will do to stop kids getting in the pond etc.  

It is a dilemma - if you do it and then they don't like it .....on the other hand, I would do it, and hopefully there will not be a problem.  Anyway, a pond is an asset to the wildlife etc. surely?

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:20:52 pm »
I won't need to worry about kids getting near it it's within 50 foot of the house on my fenced land anyone going near it would have to be trespassing essentially on land that is close enough to be my garden... Which of course it's not ... Perish the thought.
As I can prove it's an existing pond that's silted up and the silt will be distributed on my land my take is why would I need planning?
I contacted the pond conservation society and they're encouraging could even get funding to do if restore to full size as part of the million ponds scheme but recommend I ask the council. After the stables debacle I dont think I can face it tho.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:49:01 pm »

Yeah, go for it! You can always fall back on the 'But I was only clearing out the silt and performing some pond maintenance' defence if they query it.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:44 pm »
helenecus

im a landscaper who also happens to be an angler who loves ponds, if you need any help advice reestablishing the pond plantwise or otherwise id be happy to help

if it got to the point of paid work i take payment in as yet still growing pork for the freezer!!!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:52:09 pm »
What a very good idea, youre reasonably close to me aren't you? I could do with advice generally on how to add some features Trees etc without falling foul of the it's not domestic land thing..
I actually rang the council today no names etc. They said to dug silt out of an existing pond doesn't require PP. So it's a lot of silt but it is just digging out not a new pond. So all systems go then.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »
We'll need before, during, and after photos on here, Helen! ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 10:58:37 pm »
Well now I finally figured it out Annie no problem  ;D  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS