Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Restaurant reviews  (Read 3154 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Restaurant reviews
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »
Anyone fancy putting on some restaurant reviews / recommendations JUST IN CASE any of us manage to get away for a few hours / day / week and are looking for somewhere to eat?

I'll start by recommending The Bell Rock in Arbroath. It's a fish and chip place, with takeaway and restaurant - and is home to the battered smokie! We were there tonight (and last Friday - two birthdays this weekend) and it was lovely - fresh fish, freshly cooked in really crispy batter, proper chips, mushy peas. I had the battered smokie tonight and it was really delicious. They also do pizzas and all the usual chipshop stuff.

Usual range of desserts - sticky toffee pudding, apple crumble - but the icecream sundaes are fab. On Friday, I had Chocolate Nut Sundae, which I really enjoyed but tonight I had the Pink Panther - meringue, raspberries, whippy icecream, raspberry sauce, cream, wafer and TWO Matchmakers. Heaven in a glass. Dan had the Peach Melba, which he said was excellent too.

Family friendly - nice big tables, very clean and friendly staff.

About £7.50 for fish and chips; sundaes £3.50 but a second one is half price.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Restaurant reviews
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:04 pm »
Maazi Indian restuarant & take away in Matlock!
  Whenever we're a bit flush, they deliver the best naan bread I've ever tasted, and a grand tikka!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »
The Ochil View at Fishcross gets my vote - I think everyone who came to the CSSA AGM enjoyed the food, and the friendly service and welcome is pretty good too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:19:31 am »
Bit far for a day out but the Refuge in Remungol (56) is great circa 10 euors for a 3 course (set) meal and wine.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 08:43:46 pm »
Bit far for a day out but the Refuge in Remungol (56) is great circa 10 euors for a 3 course (set) meal and wine.

That sounds very reasonable - how much is that in real money?  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:06 pm »
Its all very well... but this thread is making me feel A) poor and B) hungry!!
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 10:59:47 pm »

That sounds very reasonable - how much is that in real money?  ;D
About £8
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:23:57 pm »
Ooh, Rosemary, those ice cream sundaes ......I could just eat one, yes I know its late, but all the same, I could!!

Compo's fish restaurant at Holmfirth is a favourite of ours.  We usually call in on our way back from the horse and tack sale at Holmfirth on a Saturday.  Takeaway and restaurant - always busy, so not just me thinks its good then!!

I have to get there by 12 noon - any later and all the home made fish cakes will be gone!!  Big selection on offer, pizza, etc.....kids menu, special OAP meals.

Holmfirth is where Last of the Summer Wine was filmed, so you can do an open topped bus tour - then have lunch at Compo's!!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 11:20:51 pm »
If anyone is up this way the Maryfield on Bressay is our fav. A good feed for a great price. Only a short ferry ride from Lerwick. We go there for the steak as we only eat our own meat and dont do cattle so beef is a treat and they cook it to perfection. Most places in Shetland leave you hungry but have good food, the Maryfield stuff you with good food!!!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:24:54 pm by Hermit »

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 11:38:44 pm »
The Ryecroft Hotel in Wooler does the best Lamb shank I have ever had. We only go when we go to Glendale show, so we go once a year, and I have never managed to order anything other then the lamb because I know it is so delicious!

And a bit nearer to our home, the best chinese takeaway (The Ocean) happens to be in the next village along from us, Slamannan. Only does takeaway, and it is a tiny village but this chinese survives because it is so excellent.

Beth

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 11:52:11 pm »
In Yorkshire   The Galphay just outside Ripon was our fav, if it still there.They did not do starters or puds cause the main course was all you needed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS