Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: remedy for mild bloat in lamb?  (Read 8250 times)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
remedy for mild bloat in lamb?
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »
We have a botle fed lamb who is either just a pig and eats too much or has started to get bloat (he is coming up 4 weeks) 

I have read that baking soda and veg/olive oil mix can help - is this true and if so whats the recipie?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: remedy for mild bloat in lamb?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:12:06 pm »
Typed in bloat in lambs treatment GOOGLE and first hit showed your mixture :wave:

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »
will it work or is the tubing the best method?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:39:45 pm »
Dont know try it and see ?

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:54 pm »
Back from the brink...

'Snowdrop', our eldest Orphan lamb, wasn't with the rest of his mates last night.  Eventually found him, in a corner, panting short sharp breaths and about three times as wide as he usually is.  A victim of greedy grazing and a very quick google search later, panic set in as it looked like we would have a dead lamb within a few hours.  A remedy of ground ginger was sought and administered in short order.  I got up every two hours to jiggle his tummy (stimulates the rumen, apparently) and administer a couple more rounds of the ground ginger.  Thankfully, tonight he is back to normal  :)   :)   :)   :)  Thought we were going to have one very dead Snowdrop this morning!

1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger in two table spoons of water, syringed into the mouth - works wonders!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:49:58 am »
One of my late lambs from last year had bloat last weekend from gorging on too much fresh grass and he was doing this weird kicking thing then laying down and rolling right over. I grabbed him and sat rubbing his tummy for about 30 mins in all and he was fine in a few hours. I am now going to watch him when he is allowed down from the fields to cut the lawns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS