Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Golden Guernseys  (Read 12728 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Golden Guernseys
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 12:22:23 am »
The other interesting thing that Adam said was that his Grandfather was the Founder Chairman of the Rare Breed Survival Trust. I was well impressed. ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 12:26:26 am »
His father - Jo Henson.  The whole family has done so much for rare breeds - in fact without the Hensons it's possible that we wouldn't still have many of our rare breeds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:39 pm »
Hi, yes I use St Boswells vets, and Nigel is very knowledgeable, and I think likes goats. My goats need twice a year vaccinations, once a year blood taken for CAE, and that's it for injections. Need worming as and when, and  do their feet every four to six weeks in summer, and last time just before Xmas until after kidding. No other foot problems here, a touch of foot rot every so often (no lameness though), which comes from my sheep. But disinfectant gets rid of it, and I have not done anything stronger as it's not a real problem.

Yes I am fairly friendly terms with their undercarriage, as I am now milking three nannies twice a day (the last kidded last night and had her first taste/feel of milking - not a success as yet, but we will persevere). I absolutely love having them around, my GG's are long coated and have their coat brushed every couple of days during the summer. The BT loves a good brush too, but prefers my daughters to do it...

So I think different type of management, but tons of milk and for us some goat meat again this year (4 boys born and we are rearing two of them).

PS.: Anke is a she.

PPS.: Both my GG nannies had twin boys - so very disappointed. My second year of breeding GG's and still no registration in my own prefix! Better luck with the BT's, but they were intended as a sideline....

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 05:47:04 pm »
What a pity, at least they were all born safely.....maybe that's why they're still on the rare breeds register!  I do love the rough looking beardy ones the best.  We were at Adams farm last year on holiday in the Cotswolds - it's worth a trip and its where we learnt about Soays and later bought some local to us, better still was the Tudor Farm - fantastically inspirational for anyone doing smallholding - worth a holiday in the Cotswolds just for that. 
Never mind Anke, there's always next year and the more rare they are, the better the price...!      ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »
 I stopped vaccinating when the Vets kept upping the amount of times a year they would need them(well they would wouldn't they ;) )Figured that if the vaccine only worked for 6wks it was doing more harm than good...that was 20yrs ago.
   Don't have foot problems since I stopped pairing the feet every few weeks and haven't needed help with kidding for well over 20 yrs.
I've known Adam since he was knee high to a grasshopper,it was Joe that was a founder member of the RBST..great bloke.He and Ken and Elizebeth Briggs did so much for the Rare breeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS